Thompson's Water Seal

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
daveh

What is the chemical composition and would it be safe on the inside of wooden houses or natural gourds? Does anybody use it? I read somewhere that it's naptha, a flammable petroleum but that when it evaporates what's left is beeswax which sounds safe but I'm not a chemist and I don't know if that's true.
dave
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I got the following off the internet, but it sounds legimate:

"Thompson's Water Seal is the epitome of masterful marketing selling a junk product. The main ingredients in TWS are denatured alchohol and parafin wax, neither of which are worth a rat's patootie on wood, much less canvas. Yes, the water beads because there's so much wax in there, it has no choice !! All people I know that 'swear' by TWS also swear by applying a new coat to their wood every year. That's because once the alchohol dissapates and the wax wears away, it's gone. It has to be reapplied for the 'water to bead'."

I actually have never used it. I use either Net Dip used on commercial fishing nets, or I use Deck stain, but again, I don't know the ingredients.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

I treated the outside of a new t-14 last year with Thompson's Water Seal-rustic red. After the above post I was curious as to the performance after one year. I went into the garage and poured a little water on all surfaces of the t-14. Water was beading on all surfaces. As to the make up of the sealant, its a mystery as there is no list of ingredients. The warning labels indicate it is flammable and poisonous.

Most coatings of this family are simply a mixture of a petroleum product(solvent),verylight grade oil and parafin wax.the solvent will evaporate leaving the waxy oily residue,adding more solvent gets a deeper penetration because it thins the mixtue out,remember to always seal both sides when every sealing for moisture protection .If not the unseaded side will absorb moiture out of tghe air and the item will dry faster on the unsealed side and cause possible warping.BTW these waxes will wear away with time when in the elements and will need to be redone.

dick
DAVE

I use White Polyurathine Porch and Deck Enamal. 4 years and holding. This paint is made to be walked on and resist the elements
DAVE

I use White Polyurathine Porch and Deck Enamal. 4 years and holding. This paint is made to be walked on and resist the elements