help need some advice

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
abernathys

Hello
I need some advice and opinions. I have a large colony with 86 pair. This morning I found an adult female martin on the ground she had been malled by numerous males. She cannot fly. I have put her in a safe spot and let her rest for about an hour and half and she still cannot fly. I put some crickets and eggs in with her but she is not eating, she is alert and eager to go just cannot fly. Should I give her more time to rest or does anyone think that something else more serious may be wrong with her? Thank you.

Sandy
PM lover
abernathys

After a 3 hour rest my lady made a safe freedom flight back into the colony😀 yay
PM lover
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

This is good news that she is ok. Martins are amazing birds. It is a good idea to seek the contact info for an area avian rehabilitator where you can take martins that are in bad shape.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

glad to hear she flew Sandy, hope she will be alright 8)
Spiderman

Dave Duit wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:42 pm
This is good news that she is ok. Martins are amazing birds. It is a good idea to seek the contact info for an area avian rehabilitator where you can take martins that are in bad shape.
This eventually you will get into a situation that you will need a rehabilitater .

And compensate them for what they do, most just have big hearts and try to pay for everything they need, it’s expensive.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED