Mites!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
daveh

I usually put 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. seven in or under the nest when I see eggs. That gets me thru the season but may have to spot treat some. Liquid seven works great on the outside of gourds especially under the service lid. For some reason, mites love that area.

Dave
PMCA member
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Conrad,
You are correct on the danger of DE. DE goes airborne and can severely irritate the lungs of all birds. Just a repeat for everyone, DON'T USE DE for mite control.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Conrad Baker

Thanks Dave. I'm glad you replied. I remember reading it here in this Forum quite some time ago, but I wanted to put it out there to prevent any complications to the birds. They have gone through enough just to get here without us doing something that might not be good for them. I'm sure Sevin dust could cause problems too, but used in moderation it is the best mite control I have found.
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old 2020 and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

June 18 2021...3 hatchlings. New colony creation established

First year having any birds. My ASY pair has 4 chicks that hatched 6/18. I don't see any mites on or around the natural gourd. Should I add some 7 dust anyway? Thanks in advance.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
Conrad Baker

daveh wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 pm
I usually put 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. seven in or under the nest when I see eggs. That gets me thru the season but may have to spot treat some. Liquid seven works great on the outside of gourds especially under the service lid. For some reason, mites love that area.

Dave
daveh, I saw the liquid Sevin at Wal-Mart. I was wondering about spraying the houses inside and out a day or two before putting the nest material in them (Before putting the houses out for the season). Let it dry, then when I did put the nesting material in the houses, put my usual Sevin powder inside the houses.
Do you think the liquid Sevin will be effective after it dries, or is it meant to spray the bugs to kill them on contact??
Conrad Baker

Jones4381 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:07 am
First year having any birds. My ASY pair has 4 chicks that hatched 6/18. I don't see any mites on or around the natural gourd. Should I add some 7 dust anyway? Thanks in advance.
Yes, prevention is much better than having an infestation and babies jumping out of the housing. It only takes a minute or two to treat several houses, but once everything is infested with mites (including the birds), it's not fun trying to round up the babies scattering around the yard. Mites are really tiny, and they may be present, but you just don't see them-yet. Once you do see them, it's usually too late.
Jones4381
Martin Colony History: Newbie 51 years old 2020 and stumbled onto this by accident. Amazing bird. Just wanna help and give/receive happiness and be one with nature. Don't mind shooting an intruder of any kind though. Have a blessed day.

June 18 2021...3 hatchlings. New colony creation established

Conrad Baker wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:50 am
Jones4381 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:07 am
Yes, prevention is much better than having an infestation and babies jumping out of the housing. It only takes a minute or two to treat several houses, but once everything is infested with mites (including the birds), it's not fun trying to round up the babies scattering around the yard. Mites are really tiny, and they may be present, but you just don't see them-yet. Once you do see them, it's usually too late.
that makes sense. I do see the parents on the power lines pruning pretty feveriously about every day. Prevention is always a good thing.
51 year old HY beginner. Year 1 for me!
daveh

Conrad, I can't answer your questions because I've never pretreated with liquid seven. I like the dust inside under the nest or in the sides of the nest when there are eggs. I like the liquid onthe outside when I see mites because it sticks onthe surfaces and stays. The liquid works as well as the dust because mites are gone in a day.

Dave
PMCA member
Conrad Baker

I think it's worth a try. I will buy some before next season and spray the housing inside and out with it. After a day or two when it completely dries, I will put some nest material (pine needles) in the compartments, and dust with Sevin dust like I usually do. Can't hurt for sure.
sawhisker

This is my third year as a landlord and my second year with birds nesting. I have not had a mite problem that I have noticed, but last season I did have buffalo gnats kill a couple of my early hatchlings. So, I bought some Ultra Shield Fly Spray from TSC. At the end of every nest check, I spray a paper towel and wipe down the outside of the chambers, the bottom and sides of the house. I make sure to do a thorough job of wiping the outside of the entrances to the chambers.This has done a great job of keeping the gnats away and I wonder if it may inadvertently be helping with mites. Either way, I will add sevin dust to my maintenance procedures for next season.
cphanson

Yesterday I lowered my gourds and found one which had lots of mites. That gourd has four healthy looking, approximately two week old, babies. I immediately looked at this forum for answers on how to eliminate the problem. Thanks to all who posted advice. I found a local store which has Sevin Dust in stock and will drive there today to purchase it. However, I could not find a puffer duster anywhere in the area. As others have noted, there are many sites on the internet where they can be ordered. I found one site in particular which had a puffer with a 5" tube and another with a 14" tube. The longer tube would seem to make more sense, especially if I want to add the dust to an existing nest without actually changing the nest, as I intend to do with this one. Am I being foolish in that assumption? In other words, will the shorter tube work just as well? (I'm not worried about the extra $10 for the longer tube.) Info regarding both puffer dusters is attached. Thanks for your opinion.
https://www.domyown.com/bellow-hand-duster-p-106.html
https://www.domyown.com/long-shot-puffe ... 11745.html
Spiderman

A quarter of a teaspoon of 5% Sevin dust will eliminate the mites in 24 hours.

This will reduce your jumping problems tremendously.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED
daveh

I have never used apuffer duster. Just use a teaspoon and about 1/4-1/2 tsp. seven and add it under or in the wall of the nest, not on the chicks. I usually add on the front part of nest, close to the entrance, just tap it in with the edge of the spoon. In a day most mites will be gone. If you are really infestated maybe two or three spots around the nest might be better. again, a half a teaspoon is all you will need.

Dave
PMCA member
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Hey Conrad. I’m thinking about next February and possibly having to supplemental feed. Last February, I tried tossing crickets for 6 days, crickets on platters, and on porches. But my birds never showed any interest even though they were starving. I was wondering if you attempted to feed during the freeze we had in February. What did you try. Did you have any success? I’m planning to order 1000, 1 inch crickets next January, and try again. Was wondering what’s your plan? Since were only 17 miles apart, , we will be dealing with basically the same weather conditions.
Thanks,
Rob
brent

Hi Rob. I tried to flip crickets and scrambled eggs and had no takers. Someone posted that June beetles might be a good start because you can open their wings and it looks more like a flying insect. So this year I leave my patio light on and have been collecting them. I must have about 500 now. I freeze them. Next year I'll have them along with crickets. My understanding is that once they start feeding then they have made the connection.
Brent
Martintown33

Agree. I heard the same thing. You just need to get one to do it, then the rest will follow. I’m just not confident they will learn, after last years failure. I think I’m going to order 1000 crickets to freeze, but start the training on live crickets from pet or bait shop and hope that gets them to start.
Rob
Martintown33

P.s. how do you collect the June bugs?
brent

Put your out door lights on. They'll fly to the light and land on the patio floor. You just pick them and put them in a container with a lid. I use a plastic cottage cheese container and made holes in the lid. Once I'm through collecting for the night I put them in the frig. They stay alive but don't move. Then, the next day, I put them in a zip lock bag. Wrap them with news paper to avoid freezer burn. Freeze them. When ready to use I plan to defrost with warm water.
Brent
Martintown33

Okay. Thanks..
Conrad Baker

Martintown33, I NEVER had any luck with supplemental feeding. I did not do anything during the recent freeze, but in the past I ordered crickets through the mail and tried flipping, and putting them on the porches of the houses. The Martins would not eat them no matter how they were presented. The ones on the porches would get eaten by the Mocking bird that hangs out in my back yard.
Recently I had a jumper, and I went to Stump's on Airline in Gramercy (across from Zapp's Chips), and bought live crickets for feeding the jumper. I lost the jumper that night, but just froze the remaining crickets to use for future jumpers.