Nature house mss 12 lanyard lock question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

I’m planning to add a nature house MSS12 system and pole, to my colony next season. The directions say, when lowering the house, you have to get at an angle away from the pole to disengage the lanyard lock. I want to put the winch kit on. But with the winch attached to the pole, how do you get the rope out at the angle needed to disengage the lanyard lock, when lowering? Anyone familiar with this system?
Thanks,
Rob
daveh

I have a mini castle that had the lanyard lock and rope. I did not like it. Itwould stick on top of pole. I replaced with winch and cable. Take the rope and lanyard off and throw away. Replace with winch and cable. You will like.

Dave
PMCA member
Martintown33

Thanks Dave. Sounds good. That’s kind of what I thought the solution would be.
Rob
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

I too am sick of the rope, with the addition of the spare o doors and worry about the rope im looking to the winch conversion kit.

Dave,
Erva nature house has one listed, is that appropriate for the trio mini?

Rob, don't mean to hijack the thread sir.
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Martintown33

No problem, Tom. Was also wondering.. what keeps the house from spinning on the pole and changing orientation?.. (round opening inside of the house, which goes through a round pole, seems like the house would spin in the wind)?
Rob
Martintown33

Tom, there’s winch kits at naturehouseinc.com, along with tons of replacement parts.
Rob
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Thanks rob. I'll go for it. Appreciate that.

As far as the spinning, there is a notch at the top of the house that catches the small peg that runs through the pole just under the pulley assembly to keep it stable.

If its not seated properly it will spin, most times that occurs when house is not raised completely up and the peg isn't set.

Experienced that this year. Dave helped me out with that.

Seems like a winch will be smoother, stronger and worry free.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Martintown33

Thanks Tom.. that was my concern. During storms, I like to lower the house, a few feet. So, you’re saying the house will spin, if lowered during storms and not all the way up to the top, set in the notch?
Rob
daveh

Erva has the one winch and cable system and it works on all trios that move up and down the pole. It's the same one that comes with the castle. I've not had any problems with the winch and cable. Thecable is only 1/16 inch diameter, pretty small but holds up well even on the heavy castle.

Dave
PMCA member
Martintown33

Hi Dave. I’m wondering, when I have to lower the trio house on the pole a few feet for tropical storms, will the house turn on the pole, if it’s not engaged with the notch at the top of the pole? Anyone else familiar with this?
Thanks,
Rob
daveh

Rob, this is what I did. It will be an out of season project. My castle has a tube inside the house that is attached to the house and goes up and down with the house on the pole. It's called a house tube. It sticks out the bottom of the house two or three inches. It's about 33 inches long. In the pole there are split pins that hold the top and middle poles together. I take an 8d 2 1/2 inch finish nail and stick it in the hole ofthe split pin, all the way thru. I cut a slot in the house tube with my dremel tool where when the house is dropped, the slot catches the nail in the pole. This way , the house doesn't turn in high winds. I made sure the slot was cut in the right spot so when raised back up, the house is in the proper direction.

This is the idea I did withthe minicastle. It was more complicated because there are no split pins in thepole. The hole was drilled at the bottom of the top section . Also, the mini does not come with a house tube. I made one out of pvc pipe. Metal pipe would also work as long asa it fits insidethe house. Again, should have two or three inches comming out the bottom of the house so that a slot can be cut. I notched or slotted the pvc pipe in the proper spot. Lower house onto nail. It's done.

Both of my trios are placed atthe slot, nail spot all season long. They are about 4 ft. down fromthe top. Been doing thisforseveral seasons now. I've bent to many poles over the years to leavethe houses all the wayup. I even reinforced my trio poles with pipe inside but still don't trust them, even though I haven't had any bends since doing this.

Dave
PMCA member
Martintown33

Ok Dave. Great solution. I will definitely do it.
Thanks,
Rob
Martintown33

Also, I think the new poles come in 4 or 5 sections. I could probably leave a middle section out, thus making the top pole with the notch, lower. In any case, your solution is a good option.
Thanks again,
Rob
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
PMCA member

rob, iv got only two sections up, its plenty high enough but if lowered does spin. And its reinforced, but it also sways. This will give it a lot more stability, our prevailing winds are rather gusty 20-25 mph most days.

I have another winter project to go with the winch install.

Thanks Dave for the info, thanks for asking the question Rob.
Tom
Martintown33

Ok Tom. Sounds like I will be using the Dave notch solution then!
Rob