Perching poles

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bob Flam

My dad has never hosted purple martins, but he knew enough about them from a guy that did years ago to say that that they like power lines close by to sit on.

That statement is very true...they do like lines or antenna's...what ever is available close by to perch on.

When I originally started my quest to host them, I had no such lines or antenna's close. After 3 years of trying to get nesting birds it occurred to me that a perching pole obviously helped in starting my colony. Since then it has also proved to me that they just simply love them all together!

Not only does it give them a place to perch, relax, and preen...it gives them a higher vantage point to keep an eye out for hawks. And in starting a colony...it gives them a place to land and check out the place with out actually having to land on the housing right off the bat. As far as they are concerned, if they aren't nesting there yet, something else may be... A perching pole gives them a place to get a good look before they have to commit to actually investigating the housing closely. A true plus in starting a colony no doubt!

bob

I have to agree even tho I don't have that experience,it all seems to make a lot of sense.

dick
Scott D.- La

I agree, My feathered friends spend alot of time on the line.
Al Denton
Martin Colony History: New site and housing for 2018...Trendsetter 12. 1 pair of subs. Fledged 5...2019...11 pairs

My martins loved the power lines for perching out it front of my house. They were a big plus in moving a setup to the frontyard.
2018-new site...1 pair
2019-11 pairs
2020-15 pairs
Craig Dyer
Martin Colony History: Area is rural. Offer 28 compartments...metal housing (Lonestar Goliad) & Supergourds all w/crescent entrance holes. Purple martins are abundant here and eager for quality, well maintained, safe housing. Expect near 100% occupancy this season.

Hi Bob,

I also agree with you. Martins love a place to perch. I have a telephone pole with lines about 30 yards from my set-up. The martins spend alot of time perched on those lines. I am adding perching rods to both of my houses and feeding station this coming season.
Craig Dyer
CUL Lou~Mich

Hmmm. I've got a pole, and a TV antennae, that I used to have up. Maybe I need to dig them out, and put them back up. I took them down when I put up a gourd rack three years ago. CUL Lou
SoIndyDon

I have as much fun building the housing as I do the perching poles. The attached picture I've shared before, but I'll show it off again. My martins spend a lot of time on the perch rods, so I think they are invaluable. Also it's where the starlings land before they investigate the gourds... well if they aren't interupted rudely with a pellet!
CUL Lou~Mich

Soindydon. Oh no. There's nothing worse than a rudely interrupting pellet. ha ha. Unfortunately, I've seen EUSTs, and EHSs both apparently die of heart attacks or something when this happened to them. ;-) CUL Lou

Bob,

That is an interesting comment and I tend to agree with your theory.

I found some S&K hubs for the Tri-Tel pole (that hold 12 gourds) on clearance at Wal-Mart at the end of the martin season in 2005 so I bought a couple. Turns out the 1 1/4" electrical conduit will fit nicely inside the hub. I did this then drilled a hole and used a sheet metal screw to fasten the hub to the pole.

I wanted this rack up high in the air so I used two 10ft sections of the 1 1/4" electrical conduit. To join them I bought a standard connector for a couple of buck at Lowes. This didn't look strong enough to hold up in the wind so I also bought a 3ft piece of wooden dowell rod that just fit down inside the pipe. I slid half of the rod in each section and used screws to connect the pipe to the wooden rod inside. So far this holding up very well.

cess501

I have a perch that connects to the pole my house is on. I need advice on where to place it under the house. Above the house is not an option. We wondered if it should be directly under or several inches below it. If possible please email your answer to me at cess501@aol.com. Thank you.
glfriend
Martin Colony History: 2021- First Colony 8 Pairs 37 eggs 15 Fledged

Bob

I was unable to open your picture .....I use Windows 10

Garry
cess501

I am not Bob and did not have a picture. Perhaps you replied to the wrong post by accident. Mine is requesting info regarding perches.
glfriend
Martin Colony History: 2021- First Colony 8 Pairs 37 eggs 15 Fledged

oops thanks
Conrad Baker

cess501 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:31 pm
I have a perch that connects to the pole my house is on. I need advice on where to place it under the house. Above the house is not an option. We wondered if it should be directly under or several inches below it. If possible please email your answer to me at cess501@aol.com. Thank you.
cess501, what type of housing do you have?
cess501

I have a six-sided aluminum Heath house on a telescoping pole.
Kegger
Martin Colony History: 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs ,fledge 7
2021: 5 pair 25 eggs fledge 18, 4 egg 2nd brood attempt

these are 3/4 dia. I used old cable tv coax
Attachments
perchingrods.jpg
perchingrods.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
cess501

I have already purchased a perch that attaches to my pole. I just am wondering where on the pole should I place it in proximity to the house.
Kegger
Martin Colony History: 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs ,fledge 7
2021: 5 pair 25 eggs fledge 18, 4 egg 2nd brood attempt

at least 10 feet higher than the house in a fixed position where martins can watch you do a nest change 8)
cess501

Craig Dyer wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:27 am
Hi Bob,

I also agree with you. Martins love a place to perch. I have a telephone pole with lines about 30 yards from my set-up. The martins spend alot of time perched on those lines. I am adding perching rods to both of my houses and feeding station this coming season.
I would like to place my perch on the same pole as my house but wonder how close to the house it should be.