Bo Nine Plus vs Bo Nine Gourds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
philsand

Post season, the Bo Nine PLUS gourds showed very healthful looking dry nests. The centers of their floors, where their one drainage hole is located, was raised. So I drilled 4 additional holes.
They have relatively flat, smooth floors. They have thin, but protective, walls and floors. Their interiors are black.
I speculate that since black absorbs heat, evaporation was affected. And I speculate, hopefully, that the black absorbs heat away from the nestlings.

The Bo Nine gourds all had very nasty looking, wet nests. I did not add holes because they have 4 large holes down the center.
Their floors are textured by small grooves that run toward the center where the drainage holes are. The interiors are white.
I speculate that the grooves are the problem. A lot of extra holes are needed especially in the back where the eggs are laid.

Bo Nine Plus will be my choice, however I would prefer that they had anti-wing entrapment features.
philsand

Also in my hands the screws for the Bo Nine gourds did not function well. A couple of them would have fallen apart if it had not been for the access cap.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Phil,

I use the Bo11 Plus gourds. They too are in two pieces and have the black inner liner. I like them because the black liner is away from the gourds outer walls and I believe allows for circulation of air keeping it cooler than most and, the nest is always dry. I've added the tunnels they sell for these and, if using the crescent entrance, it does have wing entrapment guards.

As for the two pieces, I had a screw or two not hold in mine so all I did was find a screw with courser threads and use them being careful not to over tighten them. During the off season, take your gourds apart, fill the screw holes with epoxy and re-drill them so the screws will fit tight and hold it together. Or just use courser threads. They make wood screws for cabinetry work that have small heads on them and are easily found at your local hardware store.

Good luck you,

Coolwhips
2016 - many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
2021 - 29 pair, 117 fledged