Sub flooring

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Laura Dore

I have enlarged the compartments in all my Trio houses for this season. My question for all you experts is: should I put sub flooring only in the rear portion to encourage the nest building in the back? Will the martins just naturally know to nest in the back? Or, should I put the sub flooring in both the front and the rear sections?
John Miller

Martins most of the time know to go all the way to the most distance room. Once in a while one may build a nest in front, but infrequent.

I've experimented with the front room subfloor. Not critical to have a subfloor, but may help keep older babies dry if they move there -- just moving around or moving toward the entrance for feeding. But if this is a Trio house with crescents, make sure the subfloor is not obstructing the crescent. You have to place it right side or wrong side (not sure) up as it would be originally used with a round hole so it doesn't intersect the bottom portion of the crescent.

John M
Martin man RI

HI Laura
I have had my trio houses double size for years. The birds all nest in the
back compartment so sub flooring is needed in the back unit only. You might
want to add some traction tape on the inside hole to help the birds get a grip
as they try and exit the hole. Since will be just bare aluminum floor. One strip only. The birds will be protected from rain predators and attract many
more birds with them doubled size. And you will see many more sets of
six eggs and much larger family's You have done a great thing. You will notice the difference this year. All six units will be taken. I use crescent
holes. And they have worked excellent Must be SREH with large units.
We would see many more martins in New England if people would only listen
and remove small unit hawk feeders. -----Ray
~Ray~Gingerich

It might be best to remove the front subfloor or fasten it down someway. I had one flip up from the wind and block the entrance to the back chamber, I removed it and applied traction tape to the floor.
~Ray~ Gingerich
1999 1pair, 2006 2 pair, 2008 2 pair,
2009 23 pair, 2010 39 pair, 2011 67 pair,
2012 115 pair, 2013 160 pair,
2014 152 pair, 2015 174 pair, 2016 178 pair
2017 187 pair, 2018 200 pair, 2019 171pair
2020 233 pair
Laura Dore

Thanks for the tips all. I was just about to order one of the PMCA's new T-shirts. So, now I can order the traction tape at the same time.
tonyg
Martin Colony History: 22 year landlord, 14 at current residence..offering 9 racks and a homemade T-8 for 166 total cavities. 160 Pair in 2018 Racks consist of a Deluxe 12, AAA 16, Starburst 16, 2 K-18 Series, Super 24, 2 Gemini, Multi-purpose/two trio’s/4gourds and a T-8..Great hobby to be involved in..

I have subfloors in both my modified trios with round holes, i find it best to keep both floors dry....i also put some pine needles and straw in front compartment for the male to bed on....take John's advice if you have crescent entrances.. Good luck..
22 year landlord..9 Rack Systems for 2018 and my home built T-8 for a total of 166 cavities..160 pair in 2018 ..SUPER COLONY!!! Love You Bev... Fan of those St. Louis Cardinals!!!!!
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Never seend a nest in the front chamber of a dual Trio setup.

I would leave the subfloor provided the opening is not blocked.

Especially near fledge you will have some roosting in the "front room"

In my experience usually the floor will only block the excluder type entrances.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
daveh

I use subfloors in both front and back compartments of my castle and minicastle. I use the original excluder openings and crescent openings. I place them right side up in both compartments and some may stick up in the excluder opening a little but doesn't slow the martins down. Both houses are usually full.

I had a baby get stuck in a subfloor last year by the entrance. A foot was lodged inside a hole in the subfloor. I got it loose and everything was ok. Never had I seen this in 10 years. I still like the subfloors in both compartments because they keep the birds drier and they have traction throughout the compartment.

dave
PMCA member
jr 2
Location: ohio,proctorville(just across ohio river from huntington,west virginia)

i had 2 sy pair lay eggs in the lower front section off of my rear subfloors but i had added a clinger tunnel on the side of the trio and just had 1 6x 12 room ;;i put my traction tape on the porch on outside of my cresent entrances;;tryed it inside but it always gets covered up with nest material so i don't see a reason too put it inside;;jr2
PMCA member; s 2011 2 pair fledged 3; 2012 3 asy pair,4 sy pair,2013 8 asy pair,6 sy pair;2014 19 asy pair,2 sy pair
zatn02
Martin Colony History: I live on Keystone Lake which is 25 miles west of Tulsa Oklahoma. For 2020 I will be offering: 1 Gemini rack with 12 Troyer Horizontal and 12 Troyer Vertical gourds, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio M12K houses with expanded compartments and 4 S&K Bo 11 Plus gourds with clinger tunnels, 1 Multi-Purpose pole with 2 Trio Mini-Castles with expanded compartments and 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath, 1 MPP pole with 2 Trio MSS12 houses with expanded compartments, 3 Super gourds and 1 Excluder gourd underneath, 1 Fountain Gourd rack with 12 Troyer Vertical Gourds, 1 AAA16 rack with 8 Troyer Horizontal and 8 Troyer Vertical gourds, 1 rack with 3 S&K Double Gourds, 1 Trendsetter 16 house with 4 Troyer Vertical Gourds underneath and 1 S&K Barn style house with expanded compartments and 2 gourds underneath. This will be a total of 127 nesting cavities offered for 2020. Hopefully this will help to increase my numbers over 2019 which were 60 active pair that fledged 274 babies.

I have expanded Trio's and the nest tray or sub floor goes in the back and use traction tape in the front near the entrance. You can buy traction tape at any hardware store if you choose to not order from PMCA. The nest tray may stick up too far if you have it in the front entrance. Especially if you have crescent entrances.
Fuzzmeister

Hi I am new to the forum, and housing purple martins. I am in the process of building a purple martin house, and was wondering what the sub floor is all about, I'm assuming that the nest room is higher then the entrance room so would I just add another peice of 1/2 inch or 3/8 plywood to the nest room? Does any one have a picture?
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Hi, sub flooring is just something added to the nest compartment to help keep the nest/eggs/chicks dry and comfortable. Some are aluminum, some are made from insulated styrofoam. I have both of these types in my houses. Point is to keep the nest elevated a bit and thus dry.
If you make your own, id suggest a snug fit so it doesnt "roam around" or pop up and block entrances. My aluminum ones I used traction tape and just a bit of liquid nails. with my styrofoam ones, (which cut nicely BTW) I stuck liquid nails. If you have enlarged compartments, put the in the back, dont want to interfere with the entry way. Chicks will move to the front areas as they grow older and move around and explore. think about the weight of a subfloor...if you use plywood, its relatively heavy compared to lighter materials. Think heat too, wood will retain the heat.
Id suggest 1/4 inch styrofoam insulation, its easy to cut and light plus can act as a heat protector during those very hot days.
Hope this helps and welcome!
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Fuzzmeister

Hi Tom
That's what I thought just elevate the nest area so if you get long rainy days or hard driving rains the water will stay lower and the insulation is a great way to keep things light, this is a great forum with a wealth of information thanks a lot
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

This is a great place to learn how to care for Martins, they are fantastic birds and you are very welcome.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.