Critique of new house please

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bbillyc

Thanks for your kind words. I am in the middle of drawing up plans for it now and will share with anyone with the caveat that they not market it...if indeed it is worth it. If it works well and provides good martin habitat then it is good for the species and would mean many more martins for all of us to enjoy. It is the end game of survival of the species and continued existence in their many areas of migration that I am more concerned about.

It sure atttracted many PM's last year but had no nesters so maybe it doesn't work. Hopefully this year will tell. I guess the house now is a prototype and there are afew things I would and could do differently as it is a complicated construction. In terms of functionality it is a breeze.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans John Lennon
BumBee

BillyC,
The end game is the reason why we are all in this and I?m so glad you think that way.
That is why I told this individual to consider it (my design) to be my gift to the birds.

I still have this plan to manufacture my creation and hopefully make a few bucks
on the way to helping the Purple Martins.

Back to your design, are you doing the plans with electronic software or manual?
If you are drawing them in AutoCad or with other software, convert your drawings
to PDF files, this way you can share it with any one who owns a PC, or just post them
here on the forum.

billyc,

The nests appear to be pie shaped (not sure) with the narrow portion of the nest at the rear......correct? If so, how far from the back of the nest will the martins need to move to build their nest? If it's about 4" then the nest will be very near the entrance where it is accessible by predators. Still usable by martins but not much different than a 6" x 6" nest compartment.

Am I confused on the way the nests are shaped? How wide is the nest at the back of the nest?

This is a very attractive house.
bbillyc

The side walls are 7"H by 7-3/4" deep then (you are right) they taper in to 4" wide at the rear with a total front to back measurement of 11.5" with each unit being a full 6-1/2 wide for the total 7-3/4". It only tapers to 4" so that is only 1-1/4" per side. If the taper wasn't there the box would be 6-1/2 x 7-3/4".
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans John Lennon