Critique of new house please

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
bbillyc

Lat year my previous PM house was destroyed in a storm just as PM's were returning. I had to build a new (very different from the previous unit) one but got it up too late and lost the colony. Had several visitors throughout the season, probably from the original colony but no takers. PM's are due back any day now, and I'd like some thoughts from other experienced PMers about any changes I might make.
The attached photo shows a 4 story unit with 5 houses each for a total of 20. Each unit is 6.5" W x 7" H x 11.5" deep. Photo shows several different types of doors, but I have a complete set of starling resistant doors which have been put on since photo taken last week. Thanks for your help. Bill..in Winnipeg Canada.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

You forgot your attachment, unless I'm just not seeing the photo anywhere....

Sarah B

Like Sarah indicated - you have to refine your photo posting techniques.

Considering where you are located you should give Bob Buskas' NorthStar houses a look - he has done extensive research on housing best suited in your climate. I would also look at some of the posts made by Bernie Nikolai from Edmonton - he has many novel and ingenious housing projects.
bbillyc

sorry folks didn't resize properly
Attachments
House tilted down on pole
House tilted down on pole
House closeup4_Edit_1.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
Matt F.

That's a great looking house!

I notice the pole is in the tilted down position. When the pole is up, do you use a winch and cable type system to lower and raise the house?
bbillyc

Yes there is a winch and the cable goes up inside the pole so when the house is fully up the cable is completely hidden inside the pole...just a DIY job but works fantastically. When up it is about 21 feet. The concrete base goes into the ground about 5 feet. I've added a picture of it up here.
Attachments
whole unit_Edit_1.JPG
whole unit_Edit_1.JPG (19.39 KiB) Viewed 19259 times

izzat 4" square tube you're using for a pole? I like it... nice-n-sturdy but pricey I bet.

Ian

Edit... one piece pole or is it spliced? If spliced, how'd you do it?
klcretired

Nice lookin setup bbillyc , you should do good this year
Pictures Taken with Canon Rebel XT Digital using a Sigma 50-500 Long Lens.

Wishing everyone a Great Martin Year
Happy Martining for 2020 to everyone,

K.C.

klcretired@tx.rr.com
jonkertb

I like what I see but can't tell enough from the photo of how the individual units are made and connected together?? what is the material....I have more housing I want to make and would like some more info on how you made this!
thanks
tom
2004 3pr 13 f 2005 18pr 80 f 2006 36 pr 138 f
2oo7 38 pr 176 f 2008 41 pr 154 f
2009 51 pr 209 f 2010 61 pr 247 f
2011 124E 122Y 55P so far

2 Sweet 16s SREH homemade
2 Trio Castles converted 24 into 12 w/porch dividers + SREH (for sale EOS )
1 towering "20" 76 total cavities
oneidalaker

Sharp looking house. I'd move in!!
Leave nothing to chance
bbillyc

The pole is 2-1/2" x 1/8" square tube and is 21' long. The base is 2pcs of 3" channel each about 7' long with welded spacers on one side to keep them 2-9/16" apart to allow the tube to pivot to lay it down when needed. Standard boat winch with 1/8" cable which runs into the tube at the winch to a 2" pulley at the top which is ofset to just protrude from the top side to allow the cable to run down to suspend the house.

The house is primarily 1/4" waterproof ply fashioned into 4 individually constructed pentagons bolted together. Glue and a brad air-nailer did most of the work. The core is made out of 3/4" cedar which the units are fastened to. I paid 35 bucks at a scrap dealer for the metal and the winch came from the old house. Making the umbrella like top was probably the toughest part...just fancy cutting and glueing with epoxy and fiberglass mesh. All the venting is to the inside core and from unit to unit for excellent circulation taking advantage of the stacking effect of air currents generated by hot air rising inside the pole on hot days. Everything vents out the top just above the umbrella.

I built it as I went out of my imagination, but could fasion a rough drawing for anyone who might be interested. It sure attracted many PM's last year but it was up too late to get any serious takers. They came back so often everyday that I am sure they will return this spring to take up residence....fingers crossed. BTW the birds on top are decoys.

Nice looking house. I don't think it would work with my birds - the 'male domination' factor would be a show stopper.
oneidalaker

bbillyc, I'd be interested in a rough sketch of the house. At my last seminar there were a few guys interested in building a house. With you permission, I'd also like to use your photo of the house for my power point presentation next year as an example of a stylish house that one with time can build. This house would grace any lawn.
I'll e-mail my address if a sketch is available.
Thanks

Bob
Leave nothing to chance
jonkertb

put me on that info and sketch list too....I've got more houses to make and I like what I see
tom
2004 3pr 13 f 2005 18pr 80 f 2006 36 pr 138 f
2oo7 38 pr 176 f 2008 41 pr 154 f
2009 51 pr 209 f 2010 61 pr 247 f
2011 124E 122Y 55P so far

2 Sweet 16s SREH homemade
2 Trio Castles converted 24 into 12 w/porch dividers + SREH (for sale EOS )
1 towering "20" 76 total cavities
bbillyc

Tom and Bob

I'll put a drawing together for you. Bob you are willing to use the pictures as you wish. No PM's yet, I expected them to show up today.
oneidalaker

bbilllyc, thank you!!
Leave nothing to chance
Mary Wilson-SW Ont

That is a really nice looking house. How big are the compartments inside? I see you are using a variety of openings as well - what all do you have?
bbillyc

Thankyou for your comment. Each unit is 6.5" W x 7"H and 11" deep. There are twenty units on the house and each unit has a removable end plate with the hole cut in and pearch attached. I have 3 doors for each unit 1 standard round, 1 modified SREH, and 1 SREH...just testing to see what they will like best. Each unit has a ventilated floor covered with screen, then 3/8" egg crating, and then 3/16" cork as the main floor. The flooring slides out for easy replacement.

I am also experimenting with heating the house using the 2-1/2" steel pole as a duct/plenum. Where the house sits there are holes drilled into the steel pole which line up with holes in the back of each compartment. An electric heater is ducted into the bottom of the steel pole...forced air heating for each compartment for those real cold and very unpredictable days here in the North.

I LOVE this house you built! Could I be added to the list to get the plans for this house too?
BumBee

That?s a house any Martin Steward can be proud of to hoist in their yard.

I sure hope that you don?t plan on marketing this. I made a mistake of
showing my design to some one back late 1999. A year and a half later
this some one had a copy of my idea on the market.