I need some help.........

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Dave S (Texas)

I sometimes monitor the group rec.birds. A guy put up a photo of a female house sparrow and posted as how he has provided a home for these pests for decades....on his back porch! Likes their song! He has been informed how distructive this bird is to the PM population, but doesn't care. Maybe some folks here would like to monitor that group and help educate the misinformed? Thanks

If by now people on that forum haven't converted him, I would say it would do no good. As the saying goes-

You can lead a horse to water.............

I seriously doubt a few more ppl ganging up on him would change his mind.

Chuck
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Dave, I often wonder if people like that are telling the truth. They are simply trying to antagonize others. I think its best to ignore them. They cause you to get all excited, and they laugh about it. Those kind of people are too stupid to try to help.
Bob Flam

Dont even mess with em Dave. We've gone through all this several times with sparrow and starling lovers. It always ends bad with hard feelings on both sides. It's not worth it.

bob
CUL Lou~Mich

There are a couple of sites that get posted every year. People go over there and harrass the folks. We need to remember that we live in America. Here folks are free to do most anything. There's no sense in going over there and getting things stirred up. Just be thankful that we're allowed to make up our own minds. Please just leave them alone. CUL Lou
Dave S (Texas)

So, I ask for a little support and get none....too much of a bother to even go to read the thread? Thanks, thanks a lot.............
Sigundo

Dave, don't be too harsh (well, I guess be harsh if'n you want, but it won't be productive). Most of the time, this forum is VERY supportive.. sometimes TOO supportive :shock:. If YOU need any martin support, we'll be there.

On the other hand, no need to kick a stone wall... you said the *blech* sparrow lover already has been informed about the damage that sparrows DO to songbirds.. if 20 of us say the same thing, he'll be just as informed as he was before we said it.

Some people just won't change.. look at some of the latest discussions here on this forum.. regarding sparrows/starlings/guns/cats etc etc... heck, my own mother, even knowing what sparrows do won't let me shoot them at her house. She doesn't have martins, but the sparrows peck holes in her thistle socks, sending streams of that 10 bucks a bag black gold down onto the ground, but still she won't relent.

Of course if her sparrows fly clear on the other side of town, where my martins are, they will die. If she goes inside when I'm at her house shooting starlings (which she DOES allow), the sparrows will also die and I'll tell her I "got another starling". She's happy, I'm happy, the martins are happy.

Everybody has an opinion about things, and has a right to say it. If it happens to match mine, then they have the additional joy of knowing that they are absolutely correct. If not, well, they're wrong, of course, but they do have the right to be wrong, if they so choose. :roll:
Bob Flam

If YOU need any martin support, we'll be there.

Heck most people still think martins eat thousands of mosquitos. Aint my job to try n educate everyone...especually the ones who don't want it.

Like I said before, we see this every year...have since this forum started years ago. It never changes...they get ticked...we get ticked. And even if they do learn and believe what we're tellin em eventually...because obviously they don't have a clue about birds or they'd of known already. They aren't going to admit it and say...oh you guys are right. I'm sorry...I'm a dumbchit for hosting them and helping them propagate and cause more damage to our native birds and ecosystem.

They already been told. Like Sigundo says...you want support...you'll get it. But I'm not going to go beat my head against an empty gourd. If you know what I mean....

bob
BumBee

Folks,
I have the same situation with a couple of my neighbors; I tried to educate them about
how destructive the starlings and sparrows are to the native cavity nesting species.

I got the same response ?we love them all?.

Lately one of the closest neighbors was wondering why she has very few sparrows come
around to her feeders. I just shrug my shoulders and smiled.

None of my neighbor?s know about the ?bonus activity? the martins houses provides me
and my two Jack Russell Terriers???..hehehehehehehhe
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Toma, I don't tell my neighbors anything about the starlings or sparrows bothering the martins. The lady next door refuses to get the sparrows out of the bluebird boxes that she has..She also likes snakes, and sezs that if the snakes get the bluebirds, that is part of nature. I don't try to convert her, it would be wasted effort, especially with her, cause she won't change her mind about anything. I just try to get along the best I can..

[removed by forum admin]

Dave S-If it's any consolation even if he fledges dozens of 'em, I've more than got him cancelled out. These folks weren't being rude-but they have all fought these battles before and they all end the same way. Better to be positive, quiet, and deadly with a pellet gun in our own little part of the world we can control.