SREH

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
diane vB

I am watching my first PM of the year trying to enter thru the SREH and he is not being SUCCESSFUL! Why? Should I open up the round entry? HELP!
Curtis Reil
Martin Colony History: I inherited this colony when I purchased the property from my Great Uncle. To the best of my knowledge, he had hosted Martins since 1977. Housing consisted of three twelve compartment units that he had built. Small compartments, round holes and no way to lower for managing. There were maybe 6-8 pairs here when we moved in. Through reading up on information provided by the PMCA and that provided to me by Bob Buskas, the decision was made to upgrade the housing. We are now fully switched over to North Star houses and hosted 58 pairs this season(2017). 60 compartments open for business and being so close to 100% occupancy, I believe we may expand housing offered next season. Expansion will continue contingent to high occupancy, being able to keep up on management and or until it starts to feel like work.

I went through the anxiety you're feeling as well. Changing my housing from round to SRE holes caused some confusion at my site when we transitioned. It took some of them longer than others to navigate the new entrances while others just whistled in and out. I would think at least some of them encounter SREH during migration. I don't know what your starling situation is but the SREH work wonders. This will be my 4th season starling free because of them. Perhaps check the dimensions of the holes and height off of the porch. If mounted low then Martins will not be able to get in and out.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Curtis, the usual advice is to place SREHs low, close to the porch, no more than 1/4 inch above it, or starlings can sometimes enter.
diane vB

I just pulled all the round holes out, should I leave them in? I've never had starling problems but I think I'm going to this year as im seeing them land on my houses now.
rrmartins

I started my colony with clinger entrances flush to porch. They will enter the sreh no problem, if the sreh is the right size. Good luck.
T14
7 pair
25 fledged
diane vB

Hi there, mine r S & K gourds w entrance also flush w the porch. I put the plugs back in and he's still trying to figure out how to get in but, they r hanging off of an enlarged compartment Trio w normal entrances so he does have a choice! It's up to him to figure it out. I hope he doesnt get in then can't get out. They have built in wing protection.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Diane, if you put up a nestbox trap with a round entrance (2 inches), that would draw the starlings right in - keep the sreh on your martin homes and let the trap help you with the starlings. You might be able to adapt a bluebird box for this purpose, with an insert trap fitted inside it.

PMCA has a great trap, but shipping to Canada is so expensive, I'd try to make one. Give your martins time to get used to the SREH; they can be timid to start with.
Attachments
homemade removal device - coffee can with bottom cut out + heavy clear bag.
homemade removal device - coffee can with bottom cut out + heavy clear bag.
sths removal device.png (465.05 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
Escape hole cut onto access door will let wrens escape.  If bluebirds keep trying to use the box, make the escape hole 1-1/2 inches for them.
Escape hole cut onto access door will let wrens escape. If bluebirds keep trying to use the box, make the escape hole 1-1/2 inches for them.
sths escape hole.png (745.56 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
ST/HS trap for starlings and house sparrows.  When a colony site is all SREH, a trap like this is the perfect partner - starlings will go for the round entrance when they can't get into SREHs.
ST/HS trap for starlings and house sparrows. When a colony site is all SREH, a trap like this is the perfect partner - starlings will go for the round entrance when they can't get into SREHs.
sths 1.png (393.83 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
diane vB

Hello Louise, I have a PO Box in Lewiston, NY that I have stuff shipped to. I will look at the site to see about ordering one. I will also try joining again as last year I kept encountering a glitch and gave up.thank you.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

That might work, they usually ship large items like traps UPS, so might be best to call the PMCA, 814-833-7656, to see if they could ship postal for you. I love the ST/HS trap! And they could process a membership for you, too.
threelilkids
Martin Colony History: 2014 1 pair 3 hatched 3 fledged
2015 1 pair 5 hatched 5 fledged
2016 1 pair 5 hatched 4 fledged
2017 2 pair 8 hatched 8 fledged
2018 4 pair 15 hatched

Diane, Stick with it. I had the same problem that we all feel at one time or another, but they will go in when they want to, Mine did after I bit off all my nails :lol:
Mary
diane vB

Thanks mary, I hav to here now. Like I said, they have a choice. They do prefer the gourds.
Curtis Reil
Martin Colony History: I inherited this colony when I purchased the property from my Great Uncle. To the best of my knowledge, he had hosted Martins since 1977. Housing consisted of three twelve compartment units that he had built. Small compartments, round holes and no way to lower for managing. There were maybe 6-8 pairs here when we moved in. Through reading up on information provided by the PMCA and that provided to me by Bob Buskas, the decision was made to upgrade the housing. We are now fully switched over to North Star houses and hosted 58 pairs this season(2017). 60 compartments open for business and being so close to 100% occupancy, I believe we may expand housing offered next season. Expansion will continue contingent to high occupancy, being able to keep up on management and or until it starts to feel like work.

Louise Chambers wrote:Curtis, the usual advice is to place SREHs low, close to the porch, no more than 1/4 inch above it, or starlings can sometimes enter.
Hey Louise. I meant that if they were perhaps flush with the porch then it might impede their ability to access. All my SREH are 3/16" to 1/4" off the porches.
Bob Buskas

Hi Curtis, actually the Martins will have trouble entering if the SREH is more than 3/8 inch above the porch. Their breasts hit the bottom of the entrance because their legs are short and way back on their bodies. Flush is OK, but rain water gets in, so ideally, 1/4 inch above the porch is best. They duck down and slide right in.
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.