Migration Report II--2015

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bob Buskas

Thanks for this info,
Last edited by Bob Buskas on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.
Bob Buskas

thanks John, I was not aware of the Ellis bird farm new web site, thanks for that. I will have to give Myrna a hard time about keeping me in the dark. Grin...There should be more Geo maps coming soon. Nice talking to you again.
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Tim, back to the video comment (this thread is as lively as martin migration routes! :wink: )
So migrating Martins do "hang" somewhat with other swallow species? Do they make flights of any significant length together with other swallow species.

Anahuac NWR is a very special place; saw my life bird Yellow Rail there!
I'm thinking you're also quite familiar with High Island.
The martins and swallows in the video might all be gathered together to wait out the cooler temps until they can feed - since swallows are daytime migrants and can feed as they travel, they could overlap some. They probably tend to stick with their own species most of the time, though - at a home further north on the Texas coast, we would observe waves of barn swallows passing over, or martins - not mixed swallow flocks. At the Erie PA martin roost, different types of swallows use the roost, but they enter with their own kind - Bank Swallows or Barn Swallows or martins, they tend to stick together.

Tim, I'm sorry to say I've only been to High Island once, many years before I moved to TX. And have yet to see a Yellow Rail! :cry: But there is terrific birding here in Corpus Christi and to the south, in the Rio Grande Valley.
Matt F.

Great report John!
Thank you, as always for the updates.
Louise Chambers wrote:And have yet to see a Yellow Rail!
Louise, I'd like to help..... :mrgreen:
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

you are much too kind, Matt! :lol:
also have not seen a Black Rail, or King Rail! challenged?
Matt F.

Louise Chambers wrote:you are much too kind, Matt! :lol:
also have not seen a Black Rail, or King Rail! challenged?
Touché Louise!
You got me with the King Rail! :lol:
avesrun
Martin Colony History: Home Site: 2017- 0
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
Satellite Site: 2017 (3rd season)
34 pair
Fledged- 102

Interesting notes and thank you Louise regarding migration and particularly as it relates to swallows. Cool to be near a coast and witness behavior of birds as they hit land after such incredible flights. I've only been to High Island once myself and was lucky enough that it was a day of a huge "fallout" of warblers and other birds. They were so tired you could tell by their actions and heavy feeding. Remember seeing several species of warblers in one tree.
I used to work at Santa Ana NWR in the Rio Grande Valley and lucky enough to see many of the specialty species there including Hook-billed Kite!

Matt that was a good one; the trio with the yellow rail. For a second it made me think of a trio under construction with yellow caution tape wrapped around for safety ha ha.

Now back to the subject of Martin migration; I hope many subbies are headed for Iowa other states with wannabes such as myself.
PMCA Member
Home Site: 2012-15 visitors
2016 - 1st pair, fledged 5
2017-18 Zero
2019- 3 Successful Pr
2020- 21pr, fledged 76
Satellite Site: 2014 - visitors
2015 - 2 pair fledged 9
2016 - 13 pair fledged 44
2017 - 31 pair fledged 118
2018 - 44 pair 163 fledged
2019- 49 pr 219 fledged
2020- 47 pr 209 fledged
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

In Kansas,

Tree Swallows and Barn swallows tend to associate more than the other species. Bank swallows and rough winged swallows also associate. Cliff Swallows also tend to do their own thing, but when they do mix they hang with the Trees and Barnies. I almost never see martins hanging out with other swallows other than using the same feeding areas at times.

These are just Kansas observations during migration periods.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities