Our season has begun in western Canada

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Bob Buskas

Well as May 1 arrives so do the Martins in western Canada, yesterday I had my first ASY female arrive and tonight I counted 2 males and three or 4 females come into roost. Its about time don't ya think? Happy happy :lol:
Bob Buskas, Alberta, Canada (The Northern Sky's Colony) Supplimental feeding is the key during bad weather, but you must train them to feed ahead of time.
madattiver
Martin Colony History: 12 unit North Star + 4 gourds
2014 - 1 pair
2015 - 1 pair
2016 - 1 pair + 1 sub male (until my female died)
2017 - 6 pair

Congrats Bob! They are finally making their way home. These next couple weeks should be good for returning martins up here in western Canada.
Adam
Fifth Year Landlord
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

That's great news I know after a long winter that has to feel wonderful! Good luck!
Sharon from southern Illinois
pmartinlover2
Martin Colony History: 2011 Home site--1 SY pair--2 fledged
2016 Satellite Site---4 pair--19 eggs laid--17 hatched--16 fledged
2017 Satellite Site--8 pair--37 eggs laid--34 hatched--34 fledged
2018 11 pair--fledged 60
2019 20 pair-fledged 94
2020 23pair-fledged 108

Great news Bob! Time to celebrate their return. So happy for you.
______
Jody
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

I will celebrate with you Bob, my first arrived this morning. Posted a picture on the Facebook page. :grin:
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
canadave
Martin Colony History: 2013 - 3 pairs, 12 fledged
2014 - 8 pairs, 1 fledged (horned owl predation)
2015 - 15 pairs, 65 fledged
2016 - 20 pairs, 88 fledged
2017 - 35 pairs?

Hi Bob ... 7 ASY martins returned yesterday to Brandon, and today there are 12, happy as clams inspecting their new NorthStar housing. Another season is underway in SW Manitoba.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Found PMCA Forum and learned about modern enlarged compartments and SREHs.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

It is so exciting to hear about the Canadian purple martins.
I always knew that the martins' range extended that far north but I had assumed that they were severely declining in numbers.
I am so happy to hear that landlords are successfully re-establishing the martin's numbers in Canada.
I presume that the increase is due to renewed interest in purple martins but am curious if it is also due to an awareness of the proper northern latitude housing for them.

Last year's late cold snap in the Southeast US made me so much more aware of northern climate requirements and how they are different from here. Wood houses had consistent egg hatch success and aluminum houses had severe egg hatch failure.

I am hoping for a more successful martin fledgling rate in our area this year.
Mark.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan
Martin Colony History: I have been exposed to purple martin sounds in utero when my mother went out to get my father away from his martin colony.
I played around the martin colony every summer and watched as my father maintained his colony. In the late 50's until the 70's he did not notice European Starlings in south Texas.
When old enough, I helped maintain his colony. My primary task was eliminating English House Sparrows with a 1956 Benjamin 317 .177 air rifle.
When I settled into my own home, I started my first colony with an original Trio Castle and Trio Grandpa. When I moved again, I did not put up any martin houses. Frustration with European Starlings in the Southeast US was overwhelming.
Inherited my father's last martin house, a Trio Grandma, modified it to modern specifications and have had good results since then.

Delete. Duplicate.
Last edited by 4th Gen Martin Fan on Sat May 02, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark.
Firm believer in HOSP/EUST Control, Enlarged Compartments, SREHs, Pole Predator Guards, Owl/Hawk Guards, Mite/Parasite Control, Housing Insulation, and Vents for Compartment Cooling.
PMCA Member.
4th Gen Martin Fan

Delete. Duplicate.
Mark.
PMCA Member.
canadave
Martin Colony History: 2013 - 3 pairs, 12 fledged
2014 - 8 pairs, 1 fledged (horned owl predation)
2015 - 15 pairs, 65 fledged
2016 - 20 pairs, 88 fledged
2017 - 35 pairs?

[quote="4th Gen Martin Fan"] It is so exciting to hear about the Canadian purple martins ... happy to hear that landlords are successfully re-establishing ... I presume that the increase is due to renewed interest in purple martins but am curious if it is also due to an awareness of the proper northern latitude housing for them.

Here in MB martins are by-and-large dying out, mostly from lack of landlord education. We cling to old ideas (ie. martins eat mosquitos), old housing styles, and we ignore nest box competition, which dooms the martins. There are now a few of us inspired by Bob Buskas and PMCA who are erecting modern wooden housing and managing more hands-on. Populations in SK and AB are booming because people are catching on ... spread the word!
Last edited by canadave on Sat May 02, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt F.

Congrats on your arrivals Bob!
Sounds like your 2015 season is off and running at the Northern Sky's colony! :grin: