Purple Martins, NO P.R, People Don't Know them!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

I read great things about many of you here on the forum, and I am sure of visitors also, about educating the public about PMs, from lectures, to public sites, ect. But The MAIN thing that I have received form people of ALL levels, EVEN DOCTORS :shock: , is "What are Purple Martins ?" :shock: :shock: Sometimes I 've asked them if they have ever seen Houses or Gourds on Poles ? about 50% will say yes, I also ask if they have ever seen the "Birds" that gather at the Mall Parking lot trees on TV,(or for that matter the ones who fall to the ground from an early Fall freeze :???: ) MOST say Yes! :-( Other than that, MOST People DO NOT Know What PMs ARE! A lot more people have seen a silhouette of a Kangaroo on a wine bottle than know about PMs! The Bottom line, is that, unless you know someone who knows PMs, or go to a specialty bird store, or site on line, you'll never see anything about PMs ! (Here It Goes, Folks :???: ) Unless a product that has NOTHING to do with PMs, is named AFTER PMS, the General public will NEVER know PMs ! Shoes, Beer, Wine, PCs, Cars, Airplanes, Pillows, Beds, Race Cars ect..
RIGHT NOW the BIGGEST MIRACLE That could Happen to Help the Future of the PM would be, (Don't wait for it!) if any of the major animation movie companies made one about PMs!!! Yes! more kids (and adults ) know more about wild life, history, fairy tales ect.. from animation movies & the songs from them! Can you imagine if that happened ! I would like to call it "The Purple Tale ", or "Flight of the Purple Prince/ss" about the Flight to & from Brazil & all the Dangers & the raising of a PM family !WHAT EVER! as long as the Dang Public Rakes it in, than PMs will be known ! ( GOD! Can you imagine a Purple & Pink PM "Princess House/Gourds" in the TOY section !! :lol: :lol: ) But Really folks, think about that ! I guess all I /we can do is to write to those Movie companies and see if any thing happens, I guess I'd have to give up any right$ to them, but at least the PMs will be known !
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

Anthony I tell everyone that comes to my business. They see those gourds in my garage and always ask what those are for. And yes you are right no one knows what kind of bird they are. We need to educate our country big time! I always share the sale and post PMCA puts on Facebook! All my friends know I'm the crazy lady that loves purple martins! I posted a pic of the awesome gourd racks and said" purple martins need nice homes. The more we talk, the better it will get. Because some day our beautiful birds will not be here if the trash birds are not kept out of all these unkept homes. We are just a small percentage that takes care of trash birds. There is still dead birds hanging out of houses in town! Makes me sick to drive by it. I have never seen no one outside or even close to the house. All round holes and full of trash birds . But every spring the martins return to their what they think, nice home! If I ever get them to stay here. And after the first pair succeeds. Look out all the purple martins will come to my homes I have built for them! That's when they will realize the fight is over to have a cavity to raise their babies. I know they will fight amongst themselves but no more trash birds to compete against!
Thanks for your concern for the future of our purple martins!
Purple Martin wine! I like that idea! :grin:
Sharon from southern Illinois
LarryMelcher/KY

Recently, I was contacted by WildKratts, a Canadian film/TV show. They are interested in adding a purple martin education show directed to their young audience. I signed away rights, to some of my video clips to them. It was a long process. If you know any parents with young children, I'll bet they know all about WildKratts.
Years ago, I contacted the boy scouts about creating a purple martin merit badge. Nothing yet, but let's all do what we can. Even if you think your small idea. .....nothing is too little or to small when hundreds of us are doing the same thing.
Everyone, please share your purple Martin's in every way. Wear a PMCA tee shirt. I find that easily starts a conversation about my favorite bird when I least expect it. Have some photos on your phone of your active backyard. People love baby birds. The list goes on and on.
We are the generation in charge of purple Martin's future. Pick up from where and how YOU were introduced to Purple Martin's. The PMCA is so important. Ensuring the Future of Purple Martin's. I believe so strongly is why I volunteer my time making videos and being part of the PMCA as board president.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
Dan G
Martin Colony History: Trying since 2014. Visitors, but no nests. Several colonies with in 6 mile radius.
2020- An SY male built a nest but could not attract a mate.

"Years ago, I contacted the boy scouts about creating a purple martin merit badge. Nothing yet, but let's all do what we can."

That would be a very interesting Eagle Scout project. They could build the house, erect the pole etc. Ideally at a public site. I don't personally know of any scouts looking for a project, but someone else here may.
Bellefonte PA
2014, 1st year-a few lookers, no nests
2015, 'Spot' SY male, here every day from 5-28 to 6-23
2016 added a perch wire between house and gourd rack
offering 22 cavities, T-14 plus 8 gourds
2016, multiple visitors from 6-20 on. Almost daily
2017- Lots of visitors late in season.
2018- Adding another T-14. Few visitors
2019- Hopeful but stopped holding my breath
2020-SY male built a nest.
2021- early visitors in May but left after two weeks.
LarryMelcher/KY

I was so excited about the packet we prepared for the merit badge submission. Gazebo Phil Donahue and many other big names in the Purple Martin community wrote a letter, each expressing their interest in adding a Purple Martin Merit badge to the Boy Scouts. Claude Stephens of Bernheim Forest prepared a professional proposal expressing that we would handle everything from writing all the steps for young boys to follow to receive a Purple Martin Merit Badge, to finding local landlords that would allow a group of Boy Scouts to study an active colony.
I met a man that played a part in the creation of a new merit badge and he said he had all but forgotten about it, and 8 years later it came to life.
If any readers see this that have connections with officials in Texas, offices of the Boy Scouts of America, please contact the PMCA and I will try to move this forward.
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

:shock: THANKS Sharon, Larry & Dan, I was expecting someone to tell me to take my leftover Turkey & Gravy and ... :wink: :lol: ( Sorry, I couldn't pass that one up ! :grin: ) Great support for these little Birds ! :grin: As I think about a Major Animation picture about them, the latest one out will be about "What our pets do at home when we leave them alone" ! Looks like it's going to be ANOTHER big hit for the Kiddos out there. Maybe one of us Computer wiz folk can put up a Facebook Page asking the big Animation Movie People to PLEASE THINK about the PMs ! I'll be GLAD to give them my 2 cents worth of advice ANYTIME ! :grin: Thanks again ! Man ! I HAVE to dig 2 new holes for poles to attach 2 MPPs BEFORE Jan 28 !! :shock:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
taxidermy lady
Martin Colony History: Started trying to attract purple martins in 2012! It's finally happened in 2017! 5 years!!! ASY male and SY female came May 1st, fledged 5 babies!

You best get busy Anthony! :grin:
Sharon from southern Illinois
scottfreidhof

The PBS Kids program The Cat in the Hat had an episode titled Migration Vacation in which purple martins were featured. I just happened to catch it with the kids one day earlier this fall. The link is pasted below. It's about 11 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y-bEanMwnI
LarryMelcher/KY

Scott!
Awesome! This is full of features to introduce kids to purple Martin's! Towards the end, there is s nice educational piece about bees!
Dave Reynolds
Martin Colony History: 2018 Success at my Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”.
2019 Success at my home Site "Little Hocking, Ohio".

Your right guys,,, Location, Location. Location. After I put a house up at the golf course, I have many people come and ask about the Purple Martins. Once a week when I went to do a nest check, they all set in their golf carts and watched. The interest level for the Birds really went up. Some of the people even when out and bought housing and put up that year. It was a good feeling that they wanted to know more. I just wished that I had more success that year. (Four eggs were laid but not hatched, that was a bummer). But I'm ready to do it all over again at the golf course, and I know I will have to answer more questions again this year, but I don't mind. :wink:

Dave
Home Site “Little Hocking, Ohio”
2010 / 2018 -- Lots of Visitors
2019 — 1 Pair, 5 Eggs, 5 Babies, 5 fledged. :wink:
2020 — 1 Pair, 4 Eggs, 4 Babies, 4 fledged. :wink:
2021 — 6 Pair, 23 Eggs, So far. :wink:

Satellite Site “Oxbow Golf Course”
2018 -- 15 Pair, 58 Eggs, 38 Hatched and 36 Fledged :wink:
2019 — 26 Pair, 128 Eggs, 99 Babies and 97 Fledged. :wink:
2020 — 30 Pair, 156 Eggs, 137 Babies and 137 Fledged. :wink:
2021 — 26 Pair, 100 Eggs, So far.. :wink:
PMCA Member
DornCounty
Martin Colony History: .
Trio-Jedi

Honestly I've seen more martin houses than ever so far this winter. Most are the low end cheap units, but I think 1/3 to half of the farm houses around here have one up. Very few actively managed, but the housing is up.
2017 - Home & Public Colonies - 300 Cavities
madattiver
Martin Colony History: 12 unit North Star + 4 gourds
2014 - 1 pair
2015 - 1 pair
2016 - 1 pair + 1 sub male (until my female died)
2017 - 6 pair

Larry,

My son loves WildKratts. I sure hope they pick up an episode on them as they get quite detailed on the animals they feature and make it fun for kids while doing it.

Last week my sister-in-law texted me a picture of my 7 year old newphew's school work that he wrote. "My cousin has birds". The birds he was refering too was the martins in our back yard. I have lowered the house on several occasion when they visited to show them the baby martin's. I guess it stuck with him.
Adam
Fifth Year Landlord