Compartment ID system

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
TomBrake

I have seven poles and trying to come up with a numbering system. Thinking of giving each pole a letter A thru G then each compartment a consecutive number starting with 1 such as A1, A2...B1,B2... And so on. Any better suggestions? Each pole has some gourds and some house compartments.
Past years I did consecutive numbers from 1 thru 110.
John Miller

I give all mine names based on the location, such as golf course, botanical garden etc., and then just 1, 2, 3, for cavities, but as all yours are on your property, assigning letters and numbers sounds good...I like better than all numbers because you'll be able to tell at a glance when reviewing the notes which pole the notation refers to.
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

In a similar fashion to John, I gave a prefix to each pole and then a number. For example, N for north and then a number in order beginning with N1 thru N 12. A further identification on my record sheet is the type of SREH, an E for Excluder and a C for crescent. Whatever works to keep some order when things get busy.

Ed
TomBrake

TomBrake wrote:I have seven poles and trying to come up with a numbering system. Thinking of giving each pole a letter A thru G then each compartment a consecutive number starting with 1 such as A1, A2...B1,B2... And so on. Any better suggestions? Each pole has some gourds and some house compartments.
Past years I did consecutive numbers from 1 thru 110.
Thanks. I will go as planned. I agree. Having the pole designation will help
saltair

I'm not sure about your Numbering system but I have 2 racks of gourds and I put the Same gourds in the Same spot on the Same poles.

I cannot tell one gourd from another, much less the interior BUT this could matter to the returning Martins. I would think they could have a comfort zone knowing they are in the same gourd with the same view as the years before. Just a method to my madness. :)
phldave
Martin Colony History: Started trying in 2012 and still trying

Since I have a architectural drafting background I number my house compartments like rooms in a building. Room 101 is on the 1st floor 202 is on the 2nd floor and so on.
2012 late start
2013 nothing yet, lots a lookers
2014 Bust again
2015 Bust again
2016 Bust again
2017 Bust again
2018 April 14 a group joined me, but moved on after a week
2019 Had SY male seriously check me out but didn't stay