2017 26 pairs, 99 fledged
2016 21 pairs, 74 fledged
2015 15 pairs, 40 fledged
2014 9 pairs, 29 fledged
2013 8 pairs, 20 fledged
2012 1 pair, 4 fledged
2011 1 pair, 4 fledged

Hello all,

I need opinions on the best pellet to use in my air rifle. I am shooting sparrows at about 35 yards, so I mainly need accuracy, not firepower.
I have an RWS 34 Diana .177 rifle, with a Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40 AO Mil Dot IR scope.
Opinions on what is the best pellet for this set up for sparrows greatly appreciated! thank you very much, Peter
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

There is really no way to tell what pellet will work best in your gun without testing all the pellets in that caliber especially the round headed pellets if you have a medium or high powered airgun. Pellet tester kits are available with about 20 different types of pellets. Purchase that kit, its money well spent, and try all of the pellets, and you will see which pellet fits best in your air rifle. You will quickly notice that some do not fit your gun at all, and some will fit good, then order the best pellets. You may need several boxes to keep down shipping costs. By the way, I love your type of gun.

You can google .... air rifle pellet tester sampler packs
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
JEF612

35 yards with a pellet gun is a stretch
Not saying it can't be done - just that it is really stretching the accuracy potential of most airguns to hit a quarter sized target at that distance
saltair

This may help... TIPS ON USING A PELLET RIFLE TO CONTROL NON NATIVE BIRDS.... I posted this thread on the forum which may help you.

I have a Crosman Fury and a Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk. Personally I have found the heavier (round nose) 10 or 10.5 grain pellets to be most accurate.

I agree with both post above. Try different pellets and when you sight in your rifle at 20 yards ALWAYS use the same grain and make of pellets.

35 yards is a long distance for shooting sparrows BUT a little cracked corn on the ground at 20 yards between you and the Martins houses could work wonders for eliminating sparrows.

Again, use the (Artillery Hold) with a SLOW trigger squeeze when firing the pellet rifle.

Excellent reviews on your RWS 34 Diana
BobbyG
Martin Colony History: 10 years

JEF612 wrote:35 yards with a pellet gun is a stretch
Not saying it can't be done - just that it is really stretching the accuracy potential of most airguns to hit a quarter sized target at that distance
with the new PCP pellet guns accuracy is excellent 3/8" group at 35 yards consistant heavier pellets are more accurate. Sparrows at 50 yards is hard but starlings don't have a chance.
terriergal

Peter C wrote:Hello all,

I need opinions on the best pellet to use in my air rifle. I am shooting sparrows at about 35 yards, so I mainly need accuracy, not firepower.
I have an RWS 34 Diana .177 rifle, with a Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40 AO Mil Dot IR scope.
Opinions on what is the best pellet for this set up for sparrows greatly appreciated! thank you very much, Peter
I tend to like plain wadcutters or hollow points. I don't like the pointed pellets actually, if that 'point' isn't right in the middle you can't really tell but it will affect accuracy IMO. I think they can get a much more consistently accurate pellet by making it flat on the front, though you sacrifice penetration slightly and add a bit of wind resistance. I usually inspect the wadcutters for any misshapen sides or other damage before loading it. The wadcutters will give you a bit more impact. The pointed pellets may have more penetration but I don't think that's a problem with sparrows. I prefer the knockdown from the wadcutters or hollow points.

But you have to also figure out what works best in your gun, they're individuals too. :)
Paula in MN
Gene Scherrer
Martin Colony History: 2013,14 - trying
2015 1 pair, 5 eggs, 4 hatched , 4 fledged
2016 ASY male arrived Apr 25, attracted a female , stayed a week and left SY male arrived May 24, stayed 3 weeks no female. Lots of martins here in migration , as many as 22

I use a PCP pellet rifle in 22 cal. If you go to the Pyramid Air website, they have reviews for most air rifles Usually the reviewer will say what pellet works best. Spring rifles are not as accurate as PCP ones. If there is no wind I can kill a sparrow at 40-45 yards, using a 22 grain pellet, using a 32 x scope.
Gene
cajun

I have the same rifle but an rws scope. I ended up using the flat pellet made by RWS and it is deadly. I have killed starlings at 50 plus yards. I hope this helps. Good Luck. PS if your gun is off a little start fresh by cleaning your barrel with the cotton wads. There are some good videos on you tube about cleaning the RWS rifles.
sdsteil-IA
Martin Colony History: 2020 - First nesting pair.
2002 - 2019 - Trying

When I got my pellet gun someone from the forum gave me the best advice. Search the web for "Pellet Sampler" and buy one. Then determine what pellet works best for your gun.

I found a pellet sampler package that had 18 different pellets (25 pellets of each type of pellet). I fired about 5 rounds of each pellet at a target set out about 20 yards. I changed out the target after each pellet type just so I could compare groupings. It really surprised me the different size groupings I had between pellets. The worst pellet grouping size was 2.5 inches. The best grouping size was 1/2 inch. Once I figured out the pellet to use I sighted in my scope for my pellet gun.

The time spent determining the right pellet did the following for me:
- made me more familiar with my pellet gun and scope
- made me more confident shooter
- made me realize how important the right ammo is for your guns accuracy

You can go to mytargets.com to download free targets.

BTW - I have a PCP gun now. I use to have a break barrel; but the PCP is the way to go if you can afford one.

Cheers David
2020 - 1 nesting pair
2012-2019 - 0 nesting pairs
2011 - Bought 18 acre farm with a 1 acre pond
2008-2010 – 0 nesting pairs
2007 – 1 nesting pair. Female died trying to lay 4th egg
2002 - 2006. 0 nesting pairs
Curtis Reil
Martin Colony History: I inherited this colony when I purchased the property from my Great Uncle. To the best of my knowledge, he had hosted Martins since 1977. Housing consisted of three twelve compartment units that he had built. Small compartments, round holes and no way to lower for managing. There were maybe 6-8 pairs here when we moved in. Through reading up on information provided by the PMCA and that provided to me by Bob Buskas, the decision was made to upgrade the housing. We are now fully switched over to North Star houses and hosted 58 pairs this season(2017). 60 compartments open for business and being so close to 100% occupancy, I believe we may expand housing offered next season. Expansion will continue contingent to high occupancy, being able to keep up on management and or until it starts to feel like work.

Some good advice provided thus far so no need to touch on that again. What I will add with testing a variety of pellets is don't assume that a pellet grouping well at 20 yards will continue to do so at all distances. I'm shooting a PCP and have tested extensively. The most accurate out of my rifle is a JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy. I believe it is 18.13gr. I started testing at 25m and found several pellets in varying weights and design shot really well at that distance. When I stretched the distance to just 40m some pellet groups opened up considerably and you could actually see the pellet "flash" in the scope as it lost stability and sailed off the mark. So after seeing this I was down to 2 pellets. Stepping back to 60 yards it was clear which pellet was staying stable at all distances. This combination allows me to consistently keep groups under 1.5" at 100m as long as the wind behaves. If you aren't shooting a variety of distances you'll be fine finding a pellet that shoots well at that set distance. However, if there is a variance in target distance it is well worth your while to actually see what your particular combination will do at all ranges anticipated.
ossnap

I have a Crosman quest 1000x .177 rifle with an older Crosman 3x9 scope on it. I have tested probably 5-6 different pellets though it. The best (most accurate) for me have been flat headed daisy pellets and the gamo rocket pellets. That rifle you have is a sweet gun. i have shot a buddies before. They are super accurate. Just find the right pellet and stick with it.
Foxie

Comments are good right on target advise. My older gun lost the seal so we have to purchase a new one. We hear varied comments on the spring gun with vibration on the scope. Understand RSW works good. Older gun used round nose pellets best on target check also some flat nose okay
Foxie

Comments are good right on target advise. My older gun lost the seal so we have to purchase a new one. We hear varied comments on the spring gun with vibration on the scope. Understand RSW works good. Older gun used round nose pellets best on target check also some flat nose okay
Foxie

Mitch Booth
Martin Colony History: 2012 - 0
2013 - 1 pair, 4 eggs, 2 fledged
2014 - 0
2015 - 1 pair, 5 died during week of rain
2016 - 0
2017 - 1 pair, 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2018 - 4 pair, 19 eggs, 19 fledged
2019 - 7 pair
2020 - 17 pair

Check out Chairgun pro app from google or Apple Store. It has every pellet, ballistic coefficients, zero ranges and just about any other component you can think of.

Mitch
2020 - 17 pair 77 eggs 69 fledged
2019 - 7 pair
2018 - 4 pair 19 eggs, 19 fledged
2017 - 1 pair 4 eggs, 4 fledged
2016 - 0 only visits
2015 - 1 pair 5 eggs, 5 hatched, 5 dead on days 6-7
2014 - 0 only visits
2013 - 1 pair 3 eggs, 2 hatched, 2 fledged
2012 - 0
Peter C
Martin Colony History: Rural area, only known colony in Fayette County, PA