Saskatchewan, Canada enthusiast's

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Millergk
Martin Colony History: 2013 new house put up
2014 few lookers
2015 single SY male, stayed 3 Weeks, no mate, left
2016 single SY male, stayed 3 weeks, no mate, left

Just checking to see if there are any folks on this form from Saskatchewan and how the Martin arrivals ( SY's) are coming along. In the town of Assiniboia where I work there are a lot of martins. I have been trying to establish a colony 30 miles from Assiniboia on a farm but have not had any luck to date. Each year I end up with a single SY male with no mate.
Gary Miller
JEF612

Saw my first SY male yesterday in Saskatoon, and a single SY female this morning. With the nice weather coming up, I think we should see more and more this week. It can take a while to establish your colony - keep the sparrows out and use all the attraction techniques that you see on the web. I found the decoy's and the dawnsong helped out quite a bit.
Millergk
2014 few lookers

Have been playing both the dawnsong in the morning hours and the daytime chatter in the late afternoon. I also have decoys on the housing. Will see how the next couple weeks turn out. Will post a few photos later.
Russel Loire

I have a pair, ASY Male, and SY Female. They've also had a pair of subs visiting the last few mornings here in Regina.
PMCA Member
2013 - 1 SY Male Looker. Couple of Fly-bys.
2014 - Observed no Lookers :(
2015 - Bird-X Songbird Magnet, Sym and 2 others with him visited 4 days in a row.
2016 - Few Fly-bys at home. Started Public Site, a few vistors
2017 - Home, Visitors, Satellite Site, 3 Pairs, 14 eggs, 10 Fledged!
madattiver
Martin Colony History: 12 unit North Star + 4 gourds
2014 - 1 pair
2015 - 1 pair
2016 - 1 pair + 1 sub male (until my female died)
2017 - 6 pair

Garry,

I have picked up a SY male today and a potential SY female as well. I also have a SY female paired up with a ASY male that had been here for near two weeks.

Like already said, be patient... it's going to be a battle to get them, but once you do it will be worth it. It seems like you are doing all the right things. The hard work will eventually pay off.

JEF612,

Since messaging is not working on this site, fire me an email at mada_ttiver@hotmail.com to talk Saskatoon martins again and catch up.

Adam
Adam
Fifth Year Landlord
Millergk
2014 few lookers

Sounds good guys, just need them to come a little west. Adam I will send you an email later today.

Gary
Monsey

Hello from Grenfell Sask. Lots of PM around here. Have t14 and Nortstar homemade houses also a single unit and a 2suite log cabin. This is my 2nd year being a PM landlord. Of the 25 suites that are up all have PM interested and some have started building nests. I also have 4 large gourds up but the PM around here have never seen this type house in our area. The funny thing is that the PM are stealing the straw I put in gourds to build in t14. Good luck setting up a colony, they are amazing and beautiful birds.
Millergk
2014 few lookers

Hello Monsey,
It seems to be hit and miss where the martins are. Like I said before, in Assiniboia martins are all over and one Martin house in the town is surrounded by trees and the martins have to come in almost from straight above, don't figure:)
Gary
Monsey

Our yard is surrounded be mature ash,elm,and pine trees.PM do come in almost straight down but they have adjusted and come anyway. Like the corn field " build it and they will come ". :grin: