New landlord

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Fuzzmeister

Anthony
My house does have porches I allowed 3 inches of platform all the way around it I debating if I should put railing on it or not,what are your thoughts?
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

Sorry for the late reply, I LOVE railing on house porches & Room Dividers ! Many a young PM has been saved from being "Bumped" off a porch ! :grin:
( If I could, I would put railing on my plastic gourd's porches, but I haven't giving it enough time to figure a lite way to do so, I've thought of plastic baskets with "Railing" walls & cutting them out to glue to the Gourd's porch, but that seems to weak, I AM impressed with Troyer's & S&K's porch surfaces, both having ridges for the young ones to grip.)
But, on your house you could try to see if the Porch Dividers for ERVA/Nature House metal house could fit, these are, of course offered at the PMCA store. Best of luck !! :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Anthony Neira wrote:Sorry for the late reply, I LOVE railing on house porches & Room Dividers ! Many a young PM has been saved from being "Bumped" off a porch ! :grin:
( If I could, I would put railing on my plastic gourd's porches, but I haven't giving it enough time to figure a lite way to do so, I've thought of plastic baskets with "Railing" walls & cutting them out to glue to the Gourd's porch, but that seems to weak, I AM impressed with Troyer's & S&K's porch surfaces, both having ridges for the young ones to grip.)
But, on your house you could try to see if the Porch Dividers for ERVA/Nature House metal house could fit, these are, of course offered at the PMCA store. Best of luck !! :grin:
My houses came with porch railings. The houses are made of HDPE Plastic, but I am not sure about the railings. They ran small screws up thru the porch into the upright rails. I have no idea where to get this type of railing tho. I got my houses from NorthStar Plastics. Maybe they would tell you where they got them. Not sure I can post the link here. E-mail me & I'll send it to you. tergott@comcast.net

Toy in PA
Attachments
IMG_4108 Porch Railing.jpg
IMG_4108 Porch Railing.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 2244 times
PMCA Member
Courtney-NC
Martin Colony History: 2009-2015-Helped to manage Raleigh site, 36 cavities
2016- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 1 pair at home site.
2017- 34 pairs at Raleigh site, 3 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2018- 33 pairs at Raleigh site, 5 pairs + extra SYs at home site
2019 - 32 pairs at Raleigh site, 7 pairs at home site, 2 pairs at new Holly Springs park site

I will add to what others have already said re: your compartment size being too small. It might not be too late to modify it; I have modified several old martin houses that were already built. Depending on exactly what your plans were for the house, you could consider taking out an adjoining wall to another compartment to double the size of it, and then close off the adjoining entrance hole.
Here is a link to give you a visual idea of what you might try. In this case, it was used for a Trio, but the same idea applies.
https://www.purplemartin.org/uploads/me ... on-434.pdf (page 1 and 2 are relevant in this case).

Good luck next year!
-Courtney
-------------------
NC Purple Martin Society (PMCA affiliate)
http://www.ncpurplemartin.org
Anthony Neira
Martin Colony History: Started in 1992 From neighbors old 1950-60's colonies. Have 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 4 MPP Poles, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals ,& 2 S&K 11" WITH Troyer Porches ready for 2019 Season !

:grin: VERY !, VERY !, COOL Toy !!! 8) :grin: :grin:
PMCA Member, 8 Trio 6 Room Houses, 1 Heath Deluxe Gourd with Troyer Porch, 8 NatureLine Gourds with Troyer Porches, 5 Troyer Horizontals + Tunnels, & 2 S&K Bo 11"s WITH Troyer Porches ! 4 MPPs, For 2019 Season !! :grin: Started in 1992 from Older '50-'60s Colonies.
Fuzzmeister

Hi
Yes after more research I have realized that the compartments will have to be modified and enlarged. That was a good write up of using two compartments and making them into one and that is exactly what I will do, my 16 room house will now only be a 8 room house which will probably take some time, a few years to fill up any way and the porch dividers are another peice of great information that I would have never ever thought of, having other young martins wandering over to other cavities. Thanks a bunch to all of you for all of this great information.
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

This is what's so great about the forum, presenting information in a way that helps others. Well done Courtney and others. Wishing you a houseful, from Manitoba.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
Fuzzmeister

Archer
Wow in just 5 years of being a landlord you have done well, how many houses do you have?
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

I have a few, lol. I'm at the point that I where I would rather help someone start a new colony than increasing my numbers. I have been able to help start 2 new colonies and re-establish a colony that was abandoned the year before. It's hard to find people who are passionate about martins and have a few dollars to spend.
2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Super post Archer. Mentoring and assisting new martin landlords in getting off to a good start is key to the martin species success. Bringing new people in to the hobby has a multiplying effect as each new person grows and becomes more informed on martins. In turn, they may continue the cycle and tell others about martins.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.