Wing entrapment

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Fuzzmeister

Hi I have been reading a few topics where they mention wing entrapment, could some one explain what that is all about thanks.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi. Wing entrapment is when a martin has by accident lodged his/her body into the entrance of a martin gourd or house. Typically they get turned sideways and a wing is stuck inside or outside of the entrance. Here is a url of an example of purple martin wing entrapment.
http://mypurplemartinblog.com/gallery2/ ... alNumber=3
Better yet is this blog site explanation.
http://mypurplemartinblog.com/category/wing-entrapment/
There are devices that have been very successful in stopping wing entrapment. Google in anti wing entrapment and you will see examples of the device or designs.

I hope I have been helpful in answering your question.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Fuzzmeister

Hi Dave
Iam new to the purple martin society my neighbor has a purple martin house and a few other people that live in a small town, so I decided I would build a house and try my luck at being a landlord. I do not know very much about the birds so that is why I joined this forum. My house has a entrance hole of 2 1/4 inches round should I worry about a martin getting caught in there? I sanded the holes very smooth with sand paper to reduce the sharp edges.
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

wing entrapment can occur in any type of entrance, usually due to martin fights. They occur most frequently in crescent entrances.
PMCA Member, 250 gourds, 6 poles, 2traps
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Fuzzmiester,
Emil brought up a great point in that martins can get stuck in all sorts of entrances regardless of shape and size. The good news is that wing entrapment doesn't happen all the time. The best defense is being watchful and doing a daily walk around of your martin colony to see if there is an entrapment. As mentioned before there are some devices that can cut down on the chances of a wing entrapment. I hope this is of some assistance.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Fuzzmeister

Dave
Thanks for the hands on advice it's good to know that if and when I do attract some purple martins that this is something to watch for, I would have never thought they would get tangled up in a 2 1/4 inch hole but I will be looking forward to seeing the martins this coming spring.