I Can't Get a Shot Off!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Sparky

My Subbies and ASY's are doing a good security job with the housing full of babies. By the time I can pickup my pellet rifle to get a shot off at an occasional Starling or Sparrow, they have run them off. Yesterday, I did however got rid of a pesky male Sparrow that was snooping compartments. He got to the top of the roof and got one between the eyes. I feel good now. :lol: A little at a time.
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
CUL Lou~Mich

Sparky. I'd say you might as well put the pellet gun away until after the PMs have gone South this fall. Then you might get to take a few shots. CUL Lou
Sparky

Yes, they are sure busy! :grin:
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
RC Moser

Sparky don't get complacent!!! If the starlings want in they will kill their way through IMO Sparrows are sneaky, they set and watch in nearby trees wanting for a minute or two to do their dirty work. Scope out the trees and shoot'em!

I seem and heard a starling for three days singing the rat call and scoping out my set up, I knew something was fishy, sure enough he went right through a Factor WDC on my T-14, luckily it was one of the two compartments on the backside not being used by PM's. It was a struggle, but he made it through, unfornate for him he didn't make it out!!!!
Sparky

RC, shot another HS this morning. 2 martins chased him to the ground and he jumped up on the fence. That is when he met his fate! Yea, I know what you mean, they scope out the housing from a distance in the trees. It's quite fustrating. They shoot in like a rocket and do their dirty work. I need to build a turret on the top of my house so I can shoot a 360 Degree circle :lol:
kimball911

Sparky: Keep shooting. I found a broken martin egg on the ground this morning - my very first one laid in that gourd. I've ordered 3 SREH to swap out, and in the mean time we've rigged a piece of plastic to let the martins in and deter the starlings. I've got 8 nests and 11 eggs so far. Them dang starlings just never, ever give up. They have their own nest somewhere and still won't leave the Martins alone. I had shoulder surgery Thursday, so I have to lay the rifle down for awhile.
BumBee

Folks,
You really have to get rid of sparrows and starlings all you can. I use white
bread to lure sparrows and starlings to ground from the trees near by.

I place a slice of bread in a folded half inch wire mesh and throw three to four
where I can get a clean safe shot.

Shoot and Trap sparrows and starlings if you want a healthy and unmolested
purple martin colony