I found eggs.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Hello everyone. We're still here in Alvin, Texas, and hosting a magnificent colony of 80 something pairs. I just finished my first nest check. Mike teases that I am becoming a slumlord. Maybe just a little. :wink:

Anyway... I found nests in every one of our 88 gourds and eleven of them had eggs already. So, a total of 37 eggs today. Four of those eleven had 5 eggs each and the girls were not sitting on them, so that means they're not done yet! I am so excited! I offered nesting material on a platform to my birds this year in the form of live oak leaves mixed with pine needles. They seem to love that around here.

I need to replace one of my winches before disaster strikes. Old and rusty and creaky. Not something more WD-40 can fix. And a couple of the ropes look a little frayed.

I hope you all enjoy your season as much as I do. Purple Passion is in full swing around here. :grin:

P.S. We offered our first bluebird houses this year and already have nestlings in one of them. Fun!
Sincerely,
Laverne
FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors brought over by “Percy”, a very enthusiastic SY male.
2019 - 10 nests, 51 eggs, 41 hatched, 40 fledged.

That’s awesome! We’re still a few weeks away from even seeing any martins here, so it’s great to read your stories of success already.
Fuzzmeister

Farmerharv there are some martins in Saskatchewan the scout map shows there is one report, shouldn’t be long. Where about are you located in sask?
FarmerHarv
Martin Colony History: 2018 - First house up in late June, lots of visitors brought over by “Percy”, a very enthusiastic SY male.
2019 - 10 nests, 51 eggs, 41 hatched, 40 fledged.

They’re in SK already? We just got our first robins a week ago and haven’t seen anything else (besides geese of course) yet. I’d better get the house up and the sparrows finished off this week then.

We’re up by Rosetown, SW of Saskatoon. Where are you at?