2 of first 4 returning are banded

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Three more ASY just joined the ASY male that arrived on Sunday. There are now two pair. To my pleasant surprise, two were wearing red bands which we have used to band nestlings here for a number of years. They are easily visible with binoculars. Reading them will require a scope. Please pay attention to your martins. Report banded martins, especially if you can read the bands.

If you know anyone in your area who has been banding martins, let them know if you have any at your colony. The information is useful in determining dispersal as well as ages of birds where bands are read. Last year, the same ASY female returned here for her third nesting to successfully raise young. She was banded here as a nestling in 2015. They can provide information based on the band. It adds another dimension to providing housing for martins. I know from experience that it can be frustrating asking a martin landlord if they have any banded birds and they don't know. A pair of binoculars should be available to every bird lover.

Good luck this year.

Ed
Fuzzmeister

Good for you Ed! That’s good to know I guess it’s a fact that they come back to the same nesting place every year. It’s amazing that they can pinpoint the same place year after year.
Cheers
deancamp

Ed, I'm not aware of anyone banding in my area. Is there anyway to see all the locations that banding is taking place?
Jeff Dean
BillieJR

How exciting for you to know that 2 of your banded birds have returned!!! I don't know of anyone around here who bands but if I see any with bands, I'll for sure report it here.
Billie from south central Wisconsin
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Deancamp,

Try contacting your local colleges' biology and science departments, your state DNR and local Audubon affliates to find someone banding birds.Many are looking for people interested in allowing access to banding. In my case, after many phone calls, I was able to coordinate with a federally licensed master bander. The rest is history. 100s of nestling have been banded at my tiny colony over a number of years. Red banded martins return "home" each year. I have identified others that were banded here in a 20 mile radius.

Banding has given me an even greater appreciation for martin site fidelity. As I indicated in a previous post, one tiny nestling banded here in 2015 has returned first as an SY and subsequently as an ASY female in 2016, 2017 and 2018 to successfully fledged young. Imagine THREE round trips from my tiny colony to South America and back!

My emphasis has been to raise as many nestling as possible. Having martins and managing a martin colony are not synonymous. I have eventually transitioned to three nest replacements to minimize nestling mortality. As you can imagine, it can be time consuming with any size colony. Record keeping allows for heading off as many issues as possible. Don't over commit to how many martin pair you can manage. At some point, it can be somewhat overwhelming.

Good luck in 2019.

Ed