They are hungry.

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Curtis Reil
Martin Colony History: I inherited this colony when I purchased the property from my Great Uncle. To the best of my knowledge, he had hosted Martins since 1977. Housing consisted of three twelve compartment units that he had built. Small compartments, round holes and no way to lower for managing. There were maybe 6-8 pairs here when we moved in. Through reading up on information provided by the PMCA and that provided to me by Bob Buskas, the decision was made to upgrade the housing. We are now fully switched over to North Star houses and hosted 58 pairs this season(2017). 60 compartments open for business and being so close to 100% occupancy, I believe we may expand housing offered next season. Expansion will continue contingent to high occupancy, being able to keep up on management and or until it starts to feel like work.

Had my first arrival on April 19th. Had four here as of yesterday - 3 males and a lone female. Woke up this morning to snow on the ground and it has been super windy for three days. Winds 40-60km/hr and a high of +6C. Figured they probably didn’t get a good feed yesterday so went out to try and feed them as this wind would just blow crickets and mealworms right off the platform feeder. They caught on the very first toss which was great. Turns out we have 10+ as some must have blown in ahead of this snow last night. Everybody got some grub and will feed again in a couple hours. It sucks that they have to endure this but it’s a great opportunity to get your birds on the supplemental program. Forecast doesn’t show highs above 10C until something like the 4th or 8th of May so what birds are here will need the help.
Fuzzmeister

Curtis
I’m from southern sask and were having some crappy weather as well just wondering where you purchase your crickets from? I live in a small town where a cricket would have to be dugout of the ground that died last fall! In other words there aren’t any.
Birds
Martin Colony History: 2017: nothing, 2018: discovered the PMCA, new house modifications 2019:Still no Martins. House sparrow and starling hate forever.

I use to get crickets form my local pet store. Until my pet frog died 4 months ago. If I ever get martins this year, I plan on feeding them scrambled eggs.
Last edited by Birds on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 :installed a Martin house hoping for Martins.
2018 :discovered the PMCA made modifications to a heath house .
2019 : Still no martins yet. House sparrow and starlings hate forever.
Tip :never give up
Archer
Martin Colony History: six pair in 2014, have grown to 52 pairs in 2017.

2011- first year trying, a few visitors.
2012-One ASY pair, raised two young, lots of subby visitors. So thankfull.
2013-daily subby visits.
2014-Six SY pairs
2015-18 pair, 83 fledglings
2016-36 pair, 147 fledglings
2017-52 pairs, 192 fledglings.
2018-60 pair, 246 fledglings.
2019-59 pair, 238 fledglings.
2020-62 pair.
Curtis Reil
Martin Colony History: I inherited this colony when I purchased the property from my Great Uncle. To the best of my knowledge, he had hosted Martins since 1977. Housing consisted of three twelve compartment units that he had built. Small compartments, round holes and no way to lower for managing. There were maybe 6-8 pairs here when we moved in. Through reading up on information provided by the PMCA and that provided to me by Bob Buskas, the decision was made to upgrade the housing. We are now fully switched over to North Star houses and hosted 58 pairs this season(2017). 60 compartments open for business and being so close to 100% occupancy, I believe we may expand housing offered next season. Expansion will continue contingent to high occupancy, being able to keep up on management and or until it starts to feel like work.

Fuzzmeister wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:58 pm
Curtis
I’m from southern sask and were having some crappy weather as well just wondering where you purchase your crickets from? I live in a small town where a cricket would have to be dugout of the ground that died last fall! In other words there aren’t any.
Archer’s link would probably work for you as I believe he is in Sask as well. Pet store is murder on the wallet. I don't have a link handy but I purchase from Bug Order. Very reasonable pricing and options but logistically, not sure if it would work for you or not.
Fuzzmeister

Thanks every one, I will check it out
Laverne
Martin Colony History: Erected 1st house in 1997. Birds were checking it out before Mike got down from the ladder. Six cavities had a little colony 1st year. Grown to 88 cavities all gourds with near 100% occupancy. Most important factor for success is rain = bugs.

Just a note to let you know I have ordered 1000 crickets from an online source, frozen them and then tossed as needed to our colony. We don't need to supplement our birds food supply very often, but there have been a few times. Thank you for your efforts to get those early birds through the rough weather. Hoping you and your colony enjoy a successful season.
Sincerely,
Laverne