2” Square Troyer Pole Question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
ryan_thomas
Martin Colony History: 2020: 3 Pairs

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I noticed today that my 6 unit gourd rack sways slightly in the wind. It seems that the pole moves ever so slightly on the ground stake and is exaggerated near the top of the pole. Is this a typical or is the tolerance on my ground stake slightly off?

It doesn’t seem to bother my martins but I want it to be good for many years to come.

Thanks,

Ryan
2020: 3 Pairs
SSMartin

Did you push your stake into the concrete then fill up the stake to the top with concrete?

Mine doesn't move at all in the wind with 18 gourds
deancamp

I have a little movement with mine. I think it's the nature of the beast as the joints will have a little bit of play so they can slide over each other. There was a thread, not that long ago where someone had run bolts through the ground stake and first section. Then they welded the sections together and ground the weld down , so the hub could pass over it. They said it made a difference.
Jeff Dean
ryan_thomas

SSMartin wrote: Did you push your stake into the concrete then fill up the stake to the top with concrete?

Mine doesn't move at all in the wind with 18 gourds
SSMartin,

Yes we pushed the stake I to the concrete and filled it to the top. Hole was approximately 32” deep by 12” wide, 8” of gravel in the bottom.

The slight movement isn’t major by any means unless you’re OCD.

deancamp wrote: I have a little movement with mine. I think it's the nature of the beast as the joints will have a little bit of play so they can slide over each other. There was a thread, not that long ago where someone had run bolts through the ground stake and first section. Then they welded the sections together and ground the weld down , so the hub could pass over it. They said it made a difference.
Dean,

I figured the tolerances required to slip these pieces together was the culprit. Depending on how much it bugs me in the future, I may do something along those lines to make it perfect. With all this free time I currently have, I’m sure I’ll think of something to try!

Thank y’all for the responses!
SSMartin

My old house sways in the wind. Martins don’t care one bit as it is always filled first. The bolt idea sounds good and easy.

Ryan- how many birds are you up to now?
ryan_thomas

SSMartin,

Still have my one ASY pair and I believe 2-3 SY birds. My neighbors have 6 pair so there are always birds visiting and is hard to tell if they are gonna nest here or not. There has been more SY birds slowly showing up to our neighborhood.

Luckily it is easy for me to spot my ASY pair because the female has a wing feather missing on her right wing.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

I have the 2 inch square S&K pole. It came in 5 sections. The ground sleeve, then 4 sections above in total. After several years those joints got looser and looser so this year my son welded the bottom 3 joints but left the top join un-welded. This took 90% of the sway out of my pole. It still sways but in the way a tree would sway in the wind.

The swaying was excessive before but what really bothered me was the extremely harsh bounces and returns. I figured my martins were bouncing off the walls inside their gourds prior to the weld.

Next year I'm going to fill the bottom welded sections with concrete or just replace the entire pole with a one piece steel square tube with thick walls. Jury is still out on that one.

My biggest problem currently is the lower gourd arms bouncing up and down in the wind. I have built a solution for it but haven't installed it yet as I am still looking at my options on that fix. S&K makes an expansion kit that has more ridged aluminum arms rather than the current steel arms so I may wait until next year as well to make that change.

Coolwhips.
Attachments
Thomas welding pole.jpg
Thomas welding pole.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
TerryW

Broken record here, but one should fill any of these commercial multi-piece poles with a soupy mix of mortar mix (concrete without the aggregate). Can be done after installation too, but much easier on initial installation.
ryan_thomas

Update:

We placed a piece of duck tape on all four sides of the top of the ground stake. It reduced the movement tremendously. There is still some very slight movement at the joint of the 2 pole pieces but is expected as Dean said earlier.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Ryan,

Pole movement or swaying shouldn’t matter very much as long as it’s not excessive. The Martin’s actually love to sway or swing a little on and in their gourds. My Dad’s gourd’s were all hung with #4 copper grounding wire bent in the form of an “S”. He always said he thought his bird’s liked to swing. I too have that same assembly on two of my 2” x 2” steel poles, and the bird’s just love it.
I agree that the holes drilled on the ground stake and one in the pole section would help stabilize the whole pole system tremendously.
Good to see that young man out working and creating a good work ethic for the future.!

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
flyin-lowe

I can't remember what year I got my AAA gourd rack but the same company that made them made most of the gourd racks that Troyer sells now, so the pole is probably the same. Anyway, mine is at least close to 15 years old with 16 gourds and it does slightly sway in heavy winds but is still straight. I do lower it if storms are forecasted but there have been plenty of times that I have not been able to lower it and we get some pretty strong storms in the midwest. If I had one with more than 16 gourds on it I would consider going bigger but this 2 inch has held up great over the years.
202160 nests with 187 eggs (6-3-20) HOSP count-9
2020 Currently 42 nest, Fledged approx 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
Rodger Drye
Martin Colony History: Have been hosting and providing a sanactuary for Purple Martins for 30 years.

Flyin-Lowe,

I too have the same AAA pole I bought from S&K Mfg. I’ve mounted 24 Gourd’s on it and hardly ever take the Rack down in wind storms unless they are very extreme. It’s still as straight as the day when I installed it. In fact none of my 7 pole systems ever sway or swing that much and we have gotten hurricane type winds on more than one occasion.
The last pole system I’ve installed was my Nitro-D Rack and it sports a 48 Gourd Rack system. So far no signs of any real movement, but I will be keeping my eye on it.

Rodger
PMCA Member
Have been Hosting and Protecting Martin's for 30 years.
flyin-lowe

The AAA gourd rack was built and designed by Creative Universe. They also designed a few other gourd racks. I don't think they have their business anymore but Dianne one of the owners is now running a website for Andy Troyer and selling his products online. I think Andy took over her gourd rack business.
202160 nests with 187 eggs (6-3-20) HOSP count-9
2020 Currently 42 nest, Fledged approx 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.