Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

Has anyone tried liquid 7 for mite control? Seems like it would be easier to use if it is safe and effective.

Thanks;Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
daveh

Bill, I use the dust under the nests and the liquid 7 on outside surfaces for mite control.

Dave
PMCA member
Ed Svetich-WI
Martin Colony History: 24 Super and Excluder Gourds on two gourd racks, all SREH. Full occupancy. My philosophy is to maximize fledge % with existing cavities rather than adding gourds to grow colony, thus providing opportunities for new colony expansion. Fledge over 100 nestlings yearly from 24 gourds. Band nestlings in cooperation with state university. 2019 Adendum: Reduced colony size to 12 gourds to focus on more intensive management regimen.

Bill,

I used liquid Sevin to mist the inside of the gourds in half of my and dusted the others when I had black fly issues a couple years ago. The liquid dried quicky and was less apt to become airborne than the dusted cavities. That may be an advantage as far as a safety issue with nestlings. As far as efficacy, both seemed to work but Sevin breaks down faster in a moist environment so that tendency would be the same regardless of which formulation is used. I use a fast acting synthetic in the pyrethrin group on the outside when issues come up. Most are aerosols so I cover the entrance so the nestlings are not breathing the mist.

Luckily, I have not had mites. Bird blow flies,gnats and black flies are my threats here. I still perform three nest replacements at day 7,14 and 21, but I now have only 12 gourds. I think for the vermin, particularly bird blow flies that I have to deal with every year, nest replacements alone would suffice. The mass of blow fly larva that can quickly infect a nest is astounding. An early application of Sevin would deteriorate rather quickly as it has a short 1/2 life. As a result, repeated applications would be required.

Fledge as many martins as possible.

Ed