PM’s still in the area

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
pleaseeemailme

I am very concerned. It is the end of September and I am in RI. I am still hearing PM calls. Usually evening around 6-6:30. They should be long gone. Please all information would be helpful. I’m worried....
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

This season has seen later than normal migration and also visitors from further north. In addition, the sound you are hearing may not be that of a purple martin. It is an easy mistake to misidentify by sound alone. So, in a nut shell no need to worry. I hope this settles your mind and worries.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
pleaseeemailme

Thank you so much for the quick reply.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

You are very welcome. I run an organization here in Iowa for purple martins and if you wish to check it out it is www.iamartin.org
You don't need to register to use the website, but if you would ever want to use the websites forum, you would need to register and then immediately email your username and email address so I can review and subit your registeration for approval. My email is dave@iamartin.org
Glad I could help you today.
Dave Duit
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
pleaseeemailme

Hi Dave,
I am so excited. The purple martins have arrived today, May day....and hanging at the PM house that I have closed up. I automatically want to open the house, however I know I am supposed to wait about 4 weeks...This is only my second year and thrilled to have them back. Will they be hanging around at the house during this time even if it's closed up? All instruction and thoughts appreciated.
Thank you,
Susan
deancamp

Susan, do not wait, go ahead and open your housing up now.
Jeff Dean
pleaseeemailme

I forgot to mention that I am in Rhode Island. If that means anything. Thank you
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

open it quick! Deancamp is right.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
deancamp

Just curious and should have asked earlier. Why do you think you should wait 4 weeks? If the martins are there your housing should be open.
Jeff Dean
pleaseeemailme

I opened this afternoon, thanks to your advice. What I’ve read says after first sightings to wait 4 weeks later. Also my brother has had the PM’s for 15-20 years and he has always abided by opening several weeks after first sightings with great success.
They were here this am and hope to see again in the morning..now with house open.
Thanks for your advise as I am clearly a newbie. And very excited to be a newbie.
flyin-lowe

I would confirm what you "think" he is doing. It is commonly advised that when starting a new colony it is often times SY martins, which due tend to arrive 4 weeks or so after the older martins (scouts), that start a new colony. So people are often advise when starting a new colony to open their housing up about 4 weeks after scouts started to arrive in their area. This advise is given if you do NOT have any visitors to your colony. If you happen to have ASY martins visiting a new colony you would always open the cavities right away.
Never say never, but I have never heard of a martin landlord leaving their housing closed for the firs month the martins show up. They would definitely leave if that were the case. I moved my housing one year when I sold my place and the next spring the martins showed up. They flew around for about a week every day circling the area where the houses used to be. After a week they took off.
202160 nests with 187 eggs (6-3-20) HOSP count-9
2020 Currently 42 nest, Fledged approx 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair last count 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair (11 that nested), 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair, 21 eggs, 16 hatched, 14 fledged.
deancamp

Susan, not sure if your brother opens his up several weeks after they are sighted at his site or in the general area. After they have successfully nested they will show site fidelity to that site and return the following year. Unless you are having problems with starlings, sparrows, tree swallows, blue birds, etc. trying to claim the nests, I see no reason to not go ahead and open them when the first birds are due back to your area.
Jeff Dean
pleaseeemailme

Thank you Dean for that info. I opened my house immediately after siting birds at the PM house. It’s funny because I have a gourd set up and a wood Martin house and they have taken to the wood house. Same thing last year. I noticed them checking out the gourds both years but they’ve opted for the wood house. Right now I have 1 adult pair and 1 male adult staying at the hiuse(3 birds). Can I expect the sub adults to show up in time? Does that seem odd to you that I only have the 3 now which includes a male without the female? As you see, I have a lot to learn. Thank you so much for your communication.
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

Please,

In my experience, here in North Texas, every year the first Martins arriving are ASY males. I usually have 3 or 4 more males than females. This year was different though. At one point I had 12 ASY males and 2 females. However, as time went by, more ASY females arrived. Now at this time I have many, many SY martins and the ASY males are hooking up with the SY females and the SY males are running around causing a ruckus. I've also increased in ASY male numbers. All fun to watch for sure.

Be patient. Things will even out for you and you most likely will increase in numbers in the coming weeks.

Hope to hear of your progress moving forward.

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
deancamp

The rule of thumb is for sy birds to show up 4 to 6 weeks after the asy birds. Your asy birds will probably draw some in. Not odd for the male without a female, sometimes they find a mate very quickly and sometimes it takes awhile. There house selection is interesting and different at each site. Mine go for the gourds first and very slow to choose my Duracraft Castle. Good Luck
Jeff Dean