Too many ASY birds

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
SSMartin

So for two nights in a row I have two male ASY who can't find a empty gourd. They fly gourd to gourd and enter and you can hear the pairs beating them up. They exit then try another. I have checked after dark and find them halfway in the entrance of a tunnel.

I have a new house which is empty but they refuse to use it. I am feeling bad and debating buying another rack. I don't understand why they don't figure this out during daylight hours, or why they won't settle on the house, or even why they don't leave before dark. Anyone else experience this?
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Yep, sure have. not fun to watch, you just want them to go in! perhaps they are birds intercepted, all the residents quickly go to claimed cavities, or its a resident who got rejected. Impossible to tell. Ill bet when the other migrant females come he will select a gourd she likes.

I have plenty space in the front, all back gourds and house occupied. last night I was watching after they went in to make sure everyone was tucked away, there was a commotion in the house went on for a while and a male popped out. he flew from porch to porch, got rejected every time. went to a gourd, rejected. stayed around for a bit but before full dark took off. I think they come back, a colony is a big draw.

never saw them in a tunnel though they end up on arms close to the hub, on outer porches. that is odd.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
SSMartin

Thank you for your reply C.C.

I’m glad I am not the only one. I too have seen birds fail to find a vacancy and then climb and take off out of sight not to be seen again that evening. I always wonder where they go.
mwren
Martin Colony History: I have had my martin colony on the dam of one of my ponds for nine years. The colony has grown each year, but I am now concentrating on helping friends and acquaintances who have shown interests in martins. My colony consists of three T-14's with 8 Troyer gourds attatched to each T-14, a Troyer gourd rack with 12 gourds, and another gourd rack with 18 Troyer gourds for a total of 96 nest cavities. I am having serious predation issues with hawks and owls and am experimenting with various hawk guards and "screens". Established successful supplemental feeding the last few seasons and have had a blast flipping mostly meal worms and some crickets. Faculty from Ohio University are using my colony as a research site to study parasites that target cavity nesting birds. In exchange for access to my bird trail nest boxes and martin housing, they are banding all birds involved in their study.

Sounds like it might be time to add another gourd rack!

Bird
Mike "Bird" Wren
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi SSMartin,
Try smearing a little mud to discolor the outside entrance so as if it appears that there was a martin pair living in it from last year. This may trigger them to enter the house.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Spiderman

I finally switched to all Troyer horizontal gourds. They still want to be on the top row for seniority. But besides that everything is equal.
2008 - 33 PAIR - FLEDGED 96 YOUNG
2009 - 51 PAIR - FLEDGED 166 YOUNG
2010 - 45 PAIR - FLEDGED 146 YOUNG
2011 - 33 PAIR - 128 HATCHED, 97 FLEDGED
2012 - 37 PAIR - 119 HATCHED, 101 FLEDGED