Earliest SY male I’ve ever had

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Have an SY male here. Earliest ever. It’s always hard to tell, but the tell-tale male croaking gave him away
Habsboy

We're are you located? I'm in extreme SW Ontario. Got my eyes to the skies and gourds up
dsonyay
Martin Colony History: 2010-2014 located in Slidell LA. Gourd rack with 16 gourds. Max of 2 pairs during this short period in Slidell. Plenty of fledglings.

2014-present.. moved to Broussard LA. Same Gourd Rack but added a 6 room house (modified from a 12 room)

2020: after a long drought of nothing, 4 pairs and 4 nests, 23 eggs total (May2020)

Habsboy wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:30 am
We're are you located? I'm in extreme SW Ontario. Got my eyes to the skies and gourds up

I’m in Broussard Louisiana
Ive got 5 maybe 6 pairs it looks like.. one of those is an SY male. I think he may behave since he appears to have a mate
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Habsboy,
The ASY martins will be arriving right now at your location In Ontario according to this years migration map. The SY younger martins will arrive 5-6 weeks later. But this year, it appears everything is about 7-10 early.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Habsboy

Got my pair back from last year back last week. Also have a single male that has been around from last year. I think my colony will grow this year. Many visitors everyday and the lone male is getting the girls attention.