Held an ASY Male in/on my hand today

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Whippy
Martin Colony History: See Signature

As I was working and looking out the window as usual, I looked down at my computer for a split second to work on something and suddenly heard a loud bang on the window and out of the corner of my eye I saw a big white flash. Having put things together I determined a bird had hit the window and figured it was probably a martin. Turns out, the hawk had been in pursuit of a martin and, trying to escape, the martin hit my window.

The hawk fled without his prize as I went out to pick up the martin hoping he didn't break his neck. I held him in my hands for a few seconds then put him to perch on my finger. He grabbed my finger very tightly with both feet and hung on. He and I walked in the house to put my pellet pistol down then we walked back outside. Once outside, I introduced him to my black lab and border collie. They each gave him a sniff and went on about their business. Still perched on my finger he and I went and sat in a lawn chair for a while hoping and waiting for him to clear his head. He looked around, watched the dogs and me, all the while turning his head and blinking his eyes. He was breathing normal which was a good sign and gave me hope. So as I'm sitting with him waiting for his head to clear I thought it would be a great opportunity for a closeup photo of an ASY male and realized I did not have my phone. I put him on the back of the chair to wait for my return as I did not want to risk having him fly around the inside of my house and getting hurt there. With him waiting on the chair back, I went inside, got my phone, and began to go back to take our photo together. However, before I could get back to him to take our photo, I happily saw him fly away from the chair and join the other martins who were flying over head.

This event today, along events of last year, has made me a firm believer that Martins really do appreciate us and have absolutely no fear whatsoever. I've had several babies and a couple of adults as well hold onto my finger and every time they do I can feel a level of comfort and trust they have within their grasp every time. Those of you who have experienced it know the feeling. It is truly a great.

This was really rewarding to have been able to get a Martin back into the sky today.

Thought I'd share.

Coolwhips
2016 - late to put up, many visitors
2017 - 1 pair, 3 fledged
2018- 2 pair, 12 fledged
2019 - 4 pair, 21 fledged
2020 - 15 pair, 67 fledged
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Yep it's a great feeling when you can rescue a martin & get it back in the air. Been there done it many times over the years.

I was lucky to be able to hold hummingbirds as they were being banded. Now those are tiny feet. If you think those little feet grasp try having a Macaw grip your fingers daily. I can't imagine raptor people handling those big bird feet, especially a bald eagle, but then they wear gloves to handle them.

Good to hear he wasn't injured or eaten.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi ToyinPA,
You mentioned hummingbirds and that got me to thinking about an aspect of hummingbirds some people are not aware. To help save hummingbirds in the future here is a tid bit of info: Hummingbirds may fall into a state of stupor, seeming unconciousness on the ground during cold mornings and evenings or in early spring or fall. If you find a hummingbird on the ground and it appears to be dead, gentle pick it up and hold it in your hand until the warmth of your body heats up the martin to a point that it will fly away on it's own. I know this is a purple martin website, but if I can save any species I will try. Spread the word to friends and family if you read this thread.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Whippy,
After all you and your martins have been though that was quite a gift from above. Awesome story my friend, very cool.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- didnt know anything about martins, put up an all wrong house in 2016 and had two come by and inspect all the cavities. Left soon after not to return. Learned what i could on PMCA made adjustments and next year was successful.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021:
Home colony: mix natural gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satelite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 gourds: PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mino castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021:
PMCA member

Whippy,
After all you and your martins have been though that was quite a gift from above. Awesome story my friend, very cool.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Dave Duit wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:25 am
Hi ToyinPA,
You mentioned hummingbirds and that got me to thinking about an aspect of hummingbirds some people are not aware. To help save hummingbirds in the future here is a tid bit of info: Hummingbirds may fall into a state of stupor, seeming unconciousness on the ground during cold mornings and evenings or in early spring or fall. If you find a hummingbird on the ground and it appears to be dead, gentle pick it up and hold it in your hand until the warmth of your body heats up the martin to a point that it will fly away on it's own. I know this is a purple martin website, but if I can save any species I will try. Spread the word to friends and family if you read this thread.
Info is correct & you can also stick their beak in hummingbird food once they come too. It helps to get them going. That's what the bander did when we were banding them.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
Kegger
Martin Colony History: Newbie in 2020: 2 pair of SY with 4 eggs each in Troyer Horizontals
fledged a total of 7 Martins

great read for me Whippy this morning. I think my #1 thanks me for doing stuff like nest changes, I just trapped and destroyed
a starling that was causing non stop havoc on 1's gourd. I watch them from my covered lanaii and he flies towards me about
60 feet from his house to my screen circles and goes back to perch. the whole time he is vocalizing with the clicking 8)