Seeking warmth

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Duke

With the last few days being dreary and cool I noticed how the Martins have been sluggish just sitting on their porch with their feathers fluffed. But also what I have not seen before is that they congregate on my roof which is about eight feet from their condo. I’m guessing the shingles are warm from daylight radiation even though it’s been cloudy. The weather looks like it’s going to warm up a bit so I’m anxious to see them flying around and chirping again. As always good luck to all.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Duke,
You are correct.The martins will sit on the roof shingles to absorb heat. If you scramble eggs in little pieces without using oil; do so and spread them on the roof if possible. The martins are looking for food in addition to heat to survive.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Duke

Hello Dave , thanks for the tip on feeding. I will give it a try , thanks.
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

Hi Duke,
If you can supplement feed the martins with frozen and thawed crcikets, place the crickets on their cavity porches or just inside the cavity / house / gourd. If you choose scrambled eggs, don't use oil to prepare the scrambled eggs and cut them up into small pieces.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
Duke

Thank you Dave. The weather is warming up and they are looking happy.