Jumpers

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
SSMartin

I am finding jumpers daily. I just can’t keep up most are very weak and just sleepy. I have treated mites but between the lack of rain and the three crazy windy days we had this week I don’t think the parents can keep up. Any one else in FL having issues? Once they hit the ground no one feeds them. I am so tired of putting them back in nests just to find them on the ground again. On the plus we have had several fledge successfully.

These jumpers are 5-7 days early and I have counted over 20 dead so far in the surrounding area.
flyin-lowe

If you don't have mites it must be the heat I assume? What kind of housing do you have, any ventilation?
2021 Currently 62 nest 138 babies plus 110 eggs (6-317-21) HOSP count-9
2020 42 nest, Fledged 164 HOSP count-8
2019- 31 Pair over 100 fledged
2018- 15 pair 49 fledged
2017 3 SY pair nested, 12 eggs total, fledged 10. 4 additional lone SY's
2016 1 pair fledged 4
2015 Visitors
2014 Visitors
2013 Moved 6 miles away, 1 pair fledged 2.
2012 30 pair fledged 100.
2011 12 pair 43 fledged.
2010 5 pair 14 fledged.
SSMartin

Troyer gourds all vented. We are in the lower 80s this week from this odd pressure system. I don't think it is heat there are young in almost every nest dead. They are weightless with a sharp keel bone. Ready for the season to be over.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

Holy mackerel thats a bunch to find. Perhaps you can give them a chance by feeding them before they are put back. Crickets dipped in pedialyte will work. Sounds like they could use the boost. Sorry about that man. Tough to find, rough.
Hope this helps,
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Are you saying these chicks are 5-7 days from fledging? If so parents often stop feeding so the chicks will fledge. Dead chicks in each nest suggests it's the heat or lack of insects. The downside is if it's hot they can dehydrate quickly. Once dehydrated they become too weak to eat. Parents also may slow down feeding when it's hot. Lack of insects in your area can also be the cause. They can't fledge if they are under weight. Your only option to save the chicks is to feed them & put them back in the nest. Crickets dipped in Pedialyte. How many depends on the size of the chick. 4-10 each feeding. They will need to be fed 3-4 times a day. I would not use meal worms as they are harder to digest.

Best wishes,
Toy in PA
PMCA Member
SSMartin

Yes I think another 5-7 days and they would be fledging. These are too young easily noticed by the short tails.

The ones I find dead are slightly smaller as if they couldn’t compete and then some gourds they are piling up on the porches (no panting) as if they are so hungry they are getting desperate and trying to fledge early. I ordered crickets but it’ll be a few days before they are here. I’ll save what I can once the crickets arrive.

I am in what I would consider a good habitat but the lack of rain is all I can think of and the 20-30mph winds three days straight last week seemed to start this event. I noticed martins hunting a few feet from the ground like barn swallows which made me think the wind was affecting their ability to find suitable insects. It’s just one of those years I guess. Kind of put a damper on my attitude but we just have to move forward.

Thank you all for your input.
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Yes high winds can also hamper parents finding food. Hunger will cause the chicks to become desperate & try to fledge. Hand feeding may save some, but not all. Some may be too weak to digest food. Do what you can. Nature has the last word.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member