A gourd rack of death

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
elyas

My 21st year as a landlord. You learn real quick some years better than others but this year is horrible. To this point 18 living martins, a couple of nest with eggs, and 32 dead babies. You think after 21 years you'd seen most of what can happen. New neighborhoods popping up around us. A pond in the neighborhood filled up for more storage facilities. Nest changes don't help. Nothing helps. If one dies in the nest the others in that nest do not have a good chance. Most of the death takes place from 10-20 days old. I wonder about early egg laying and cold weather. I look forward every year, like all of you do, to that first martin showing up and going thru the ups and downs of a landlord. It hurts to say but if this happens again nest year I will tear my gourd rack down and hope they go to a better place than mine. Thanks for "listening".
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

Wow. Very sorry to hear of this. What do you think is causing the deaths of the chicks? I lost most of my 21 year colony to the friek 6 day freeze in early February. Being a landlord definitely comes with happy and sad times. But they have evolved to depend on human housing. Hopefully you have a great year next season.
Good luck!
Rob
elyas

I'm sorry to hear about your colony. This has been a strange year. Always had full occupancy but this year had 3 vacancies. I wish you better times next year.
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

Wow, sorry to hear that. Do you think it was the weather and near by development affecting food? Don't give up! Those adults will be looking for your place. They care little for developement
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
brent

Any idea what caused the deaths?
Brent
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Did the chicks have "pasty butt"? If so it's hard to keep them going without daily butt cleaning until they get over it. Paper towels soaked in warm water, carefully wash the crusted poop off. I then put a very tiny amount of Vaseline on their butt, with a Q-tip, to help keep it from getting crusted. It may require 2-3 cleanings a day for a few days. The parents can drink contaminated water & then pass bacteria onto the chicks. During this time the chicks get loose bowel, so they can dehydrate quickly & die. I hand feed them crickets dipped in Pedialyte.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

Sometimes I wonder why I keep doing it when faced with their deaths, complaining neighbors, sparrows that won't stop, hawks, and the list goes on.
But the obveous joy of a martin returning to its nesting site and heralding its return to familiar ground is good for the soul.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
elyas

No idea really. If I did I'd certainly do something about it. Guess it's above my pay grade.