Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
C.C.Martins
Martin Colony History: 2016- Visitors.
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
2018- 18 pair. 85 fledged
2019- 17 pair. 81 fledged
2020- 25 pair. 111 fledged
2021- 28 pair. 118 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
2019: Visitors
2020: 3 pair, 11 fledged
2021: 10 pair, 30 fledged
PMCA member

All,
Iv got some upgrades to our trio mini for next year. Its at a public site so will rely on lots of sparrow trapping. Of the 6 cavities two are lower level spare o doors. Two will have S&K tunnels and two troyer tunnels instead of the crescents.
Thats where my question comes in, just got the Haskell troyer tunnel trap in to use on the two troyer tunnels. Did a quick search in older posts and read it may be worth making the trap door heavier to ensure it closes quick and final. I was thinking glueing a heavy washer in the center/outside the trap door.
Any experiences?
Thanks,
Tom
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Martintown33
Martin Colony History: 21 year colony. 2 s&k modified houses and gourd rack

I’m not familiar with those particular tunnels. Hope you get some helpful replies.
Happy hunting,
Rob
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
Home colony: mix natural, super and excluder gourds, enlarged compartment house. All SREH.
Satellite colony: Oso Bay Preserve: 12 PMCA excluder gourds, 6 room trio mini castle with enlarged compartments.
PMCA member

Rob,
Thanks! end of season not many folks on so spoke to mr barrow about them. Its a wire and sliding door gourd insert trap that goes into the troyer tunnels, (sold by Troyer) a bit of the wire pokes out the front just above the entrance of the gourd, the wire in turn holds a door that slides over the face of the gourd front and when a sparrow goes in, it tries to enter the cavity and hits the trigger, the wire is then moved and allows the door to close.

Mr Barrow said i will want to shorten the wire door trip a bit to ensure the sparrow doesn't go around the trigger. They are very simple, he's caught both starlings and sparrows.
Tom
PMCA member, believer in nest checks, venting, SREH and pest/predator protection.
Martintown33

Sounds good Tom.. I am a big believer in modifying things to make them fit my particular needs. Sounds like making the trigger easier to trip and harder to avoid would be a good move.. I’ve got both my houses rigged up with your pvc elbow vent idea. 4 on each side.. 2 on the roofs.The elbow vents are Threaded and screwed in and double sealed with silicone to keep out all rain. Total of 10 vents in each modified 6 compartment house.. also painted completely white to help reflect heat. Great modification. I have pvc caps to cover and seal vents until weather warms up, then I will remove. The vents should really help with air circulation in hot months. Will add vents to gourds next.
Happy trapping and hunting,
Rob
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
PMCA member

Oh wow, no time wasted I see! Those vents are a life saver and your birds much more comfortable. Its a fantastic addition to the houses and gourds. Being able to plug is a good idea as the chicks are succeptable to cold. Glad I could help you.
Iv been busy plotting against sparrows. Built 6 nest box traps, with van ert inserts. Two are mobile on a 8 foot pole and have multiple houses attached in a cluster that I can raise and lower like a gourd rack. Gonna vaccume them up here and our satellite site I hope. They are doomed.
And snakes, have 4 of those snake guards from chucks purple martin page. Turned out great.

Hava a PMCA purple martin landlord sticker on the truck back window, guy at work stopped me today and asked about martins, wanted to know if they eat mosquitos...I didn't groan out loud...I said no. I said if he's serious he's gotta be willing to kill sparrows, all of them. He has no problem with that, i finished by saying if he is serious about buying look me up before he does.
Tom
Martintown33

Sounds like you have the sparrows in retreat Tom! I agree with the mosquito remark. Always makes me laugh when people ask that. I have to tell them that actually the purple martins favorite food, are dragon flies, which eat mosquitos. So having martins will result in you having more mosquitos, not less! Lol… and like you, I tell them they have to be willing to kill sparrows, do nest checks, modify housing, make or get guards, etc… but I tell them if you’re willing to put in a little work, they will reward you with lots of entertainment and enjoyment from watching , listening, and observing them!
Happy off-season hunting,
Rob
DeeCee

Great reply Tom regarding killing sparrows. I've shot 8 and trapped 2 this season. The 2 that were trapped met their fate in a shopping bag with lots of ether. My heart starts to beat a little faster when I have a sparrow perfectly lined up to shoot! :) You had a great idea in another post of trapping them all year long.
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
PMCA member

DeeDee,
Give them no rest! Haha sounds like you aren't! I know exactly what you mean, its a martin saved....one shot at a time.
Iv one in the blains now. Its been drawing in some sparrows, not many but I'm hopeful it will have company. Slapped together a nesting box for it, drilled a 1.5 inch hole in the end so it can go in out of the elements, it connects to the trap. Food and water should keep it alive.
Yeah, all year. Best to do that.
Tom
Dave Duit
Martin Colony History: In 2020, 60 pair with 285 fledged youngsters. 83 total cavities available, 58 Troyer Horizontal gourds and 4 modified deep trio metal house units, 1 fallout shelter, owl cages around all units. Martin educator and speaker. President and founder of the Iowa Purple Martin Organization. Please visit www.iamartin.org and join.

If you decide to shorten the wire, be sure to remove any bures that may be on the end of the wire you clipped off. A small bure will catch the sleeve and not work.
Mite control, heat venting, predator protection and additional feeding during bad weather add up to success.
C.C.Martins
2017- 5 pair. 15 fledged
PMCA member

Thanks Dave
Tom