Roosts in Central Kentucky 2021

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
scottfreidhof

The central Kentucky roost is typically located around Lexington, Nicholasville, or Richmond. This summer the roost has unevenly split into two roosts. For the third year in a row the birds are roosting in Richmond and the new second roost is in Winchester. At Winchester the birds have chosen a woodlot off Bypass Road (Route 1958) south of the Walmart and behind the Walgreens and Cosmetology School. This section of Bypass Road can be reached from exit 94 on Interstate 64. Entrance into Walgreens is from Colby Road (Route 1927). Viewing is probably best from the parking lot of the Cosmetology School building next door. Coordinates for the woodlot are 37 59 02.6 and -84 12 22.7. There are thousands of martins using the roost but I did not get a full count. I found the Winchester roost late in the evening on August 12 and within 3-4 minutes the last of the birds had descended into the trees by 8:50 pm. While searching for the roost that night, I first discovered about 2,000 martins staging on a power line along Reservoir Lane on top of the hill above the Winchester Reservoir. I sat there until the birds flew east towards town around 8:40 pm. I drove into town and was headed north on Bypass Road towards the interstate when I noticed the swarm of birds over the woodlot. So happy to find them on the first try.