Vandalism suggestions help!!!

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

boy that really pisses me off i would deff get the police involved they could get those kids in serious trouble and fines that they deserve TERRIBLE
Kyle Gregoire

Fordude, DNA or dioxiribonucleic acid, is a very complicated strain of genetic material. It carries BILLIONS of bits of genetic information. Our DNA matches the primates 99.96 percent. This is no coincidence, nor was it put here by the devil to waver your faith in god. We evolved from primates. Simple answer. The behavior you described at the park was caused by these evolved chimps going wild. These chimps were probably not spanked in thier lifetime, taught right from wrong, or disciplined by any other means than to be sent to thier room. (with access to computor, TV, cell phone, fridge, stereo, and whatever else mom and dad could buy them. Another cause for this behavior is because ALL young people under the age of approx 25 are insane. Thats right, loony. Its because the synaps and dentrites of the brain are not fully developed and firing correctly. This can be confirmed by thinking back in your own life and recalling some of the real stupid chances you took as a young person. Some of these chances probably were life threating. And to do the things now, that you did then, you would ask yourself- Are you insane?- They would seem insane to you now, but then they seemed like the normal thing to do. This accounts for insane behavior like this incident. ( not accounting for drugs). I am not making this stuff up, as this information can be found on history station, discovery, The learning channel, etc.. Even if caught, the parents( whom are basically to blame for their chimps behavior for not disciplining correctly) will buy a lawyer for thier little chimp, and the judge will show lienency. (lucky im not presiding) My suggestion Fordude, would be to move the housing to a more favorable environment. Sorry to be so blunt, but things like this are pretty enraging and dissapointing. I remain, Charleton Heston, living on the planet of the apes. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for your support and your ideas!!

Last night we put a new brake winch on the pole with a master lock THROUGH the winch. No cables this time and then we put the bottom stop for the house right underneath it in its full up position. So now if they decide they want to cut the cable, the house stays up. This was a pain to have to do, but it will work for now.

This winter I hope to design something that is a little more operator friendly on the aluminum pole.

:)

A happier note to this disappointing story is that this morning I was visiting the site and observed a SY male copulating with a female on the T-14! Prior to this, she was flirting with the decoy on the perch above the house, I include the photo here.

The ASY male that was there was not pleased at all with the decoy and attacked it several times. So maybe Lord willing, just maybe things will be better at the park now!

Fordude,

Just a thought.... Is this a city park? Would there be a possibility that the city or a group (maybe even the local paper) would consider sponsoring a web-cam of the site? Your picture made me realize that a web cam and the ability to view activity at the site is a great way to spread interest in the martin colony and have a bunch of watchful eyes at the same time.

Jeff
CUL Lou~Mich

I'd be putting that decoy in the garage. It's done its assigned job. CUL Lou

Jeff, as a matter of fact a friend of mine who owns another ISP in Minnesota is doing a pilot program right now for the Minnesota DNR. It involves CCD remote WIRELESS cameras. I am going to see if we can get one installed on the light post at the park. The nice thing about it is that it would allow remote control movement and no wires needed for data, just power.

CUL, the decoy is causing some contention and has overstayed it's welcome indeed. It will be coming down soon! :)

Fordude,

That would be great. If you want to see how much attention a web cam gets when something goes wrong check out this string from a couple of weeks back when Donna had a starling attack at her site.

http://www.purplemartin.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3547

The response was amazing.

Jeff
BumBee

Trap and Shoot..................

I wouldn't mind charging the pole, not enought to really hurt or kill them, just enough to let them know that they shouldn't touch it! :)
Fred Kaluza~MI
Martin Colony History: Tried and tried and had some visitors but...not enough good insects around here to keep them interested.

This was probably done by spoiled rich kids. Now that school is out and the teachers are not around, they crave attention from adults since their parents are probably both working and not around. They will do whatever it takes to keep from being ignored. Any form of attention is better than none. Even if the attention is negative and comes from the police. They have nothing of real value in their lives. They have high-priced toys they don't take care of. Game boys, X-Boxes and I-Pods. They can't stand the idea of someone doing something that really matters. I had the same thing going on near my place last year. They will see your restoral efforts as a challenge. We put up a sign, they tore it down. We put up a second, they tore it down again. The police were of no help. I knew this was going to happen. My wife put up a fence and they trampled it. Finally we threw trash on the ground and spread manure around the trail after making a nice slurry of poison ivy in an old blender and applying it. The active ingredient being mostly urushiol oil was first applied liberally to all surfaces of the third sign and support post with an old brush. We watched with wicked grins through the blinds as the troupe of teenage BAST*RDS came again at night a few days later. They were determined again to remove the no-trespassing sign now three posts thick. They threw themselves into the task with wild abandon. Slipping in the poo-poo, cursing and sweating, grabbing at the posts, bending the sign and post back and forth, mopping their brows with their sweatty paws. 20 minutes later, their mission accomplished they retreated once again. And then, oooooh, a few days later, the neighborhood grew mysteriously quiet. Their mommy's probably forbade them from going into "the woods" after they had somehow inadvertently contracted horrible casses of poison ivy. Just remember, the nicer you make it, the more someone will want to disturb it. If you trash it up, most idiots will leave it alone. This year has been enjoyably quiet so far. Stupid human minds.
To view my Cams... use "martin" for the login and password then use the Java viewer. Get full screen and sound by loading an app.

Click here for the "Wannabe Webcam 1"
Click here for the "Wannabe Webcam 2"

Geeeez Fred,

Remind me to never throw a surprise party for you at your place :shock: :!:

Poison Ivy in the blender? I think I'll pass on the margarita too, thanks anyhow. :lol:

Jeff

Well the site at the park has not been tampered with since the modifications. Thank the Lord!!!

A friend of mine who owns another ISP, Stonebridge wireless, is donating a wireless internet controlled CCD camera that we are going to install on the light pole there. We will be able to watch this from the internet and I will be recording data.

I am hoping that this will be enough of a deterrent to stop this. If not, we will have it all on video including license plate numbers!

I think this should cover most of our bases for now.

I just want to thank everyone on the forum for the overwhelming support and suggestions for this. You guys are great!

Fordude,

That's good news. I hope that you encounter smooth sailing from here on in.

Good luck!

Jeff
roblrich

Plant poison Ivy around the colony. :twisted:
Kyle Gregoire

Wow wow wow wow wow, Fred!!! And i though i was the radical one on this forum. You are the king!!