Help! Starling trap question

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
birdy girl

Do any of you use a starling trap insert for a T-14? We keep seeing a starling sitting on our martin perches. I have SREH on my T-14 and some of my gourds. He has not entered my SREH entrances as far as I know but did see him enter a round hole on a gourd. I know he like the T-14 best. We are busy and cannot sit outside with a gun all day. We did get one shot at him yesterday, but missed. I thought about changing 1 SREH back to round hole and using an insert trap. Any advice. What works for you guys?
Sparky

birdy girl,
I have the trap inserts for the T-14. The Starlings cannot get in but the HOSP's can and that's what I trap!

I should mention that I too am using the crescents on the T-14. The opening is large enough on the Trap insert to let the birds through into the trap.
Last edited by Sparky on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a "nestcamaholic" Is 18 hours a day a bad thing? (I have 2 this year, luckily I have 2 eyes!)
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

Insert traps that fit the cavity or hole very well make excellent traps. They probably are the very best if the starlings are using a certain hole. I think your idea of putting an insert trap & a round hole is worth a try!
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

And one more alternative you could try would be to install a nestbox trap like this one:

http://purplemartin.org/shop/product_in ... 882a5075c8

It only catches one starling at a time but it's less costly than an S&S Controller. With the tempting round hole, starlings that are stopped by your sreh entrances will be sucked right in. I used this trap in conjunction with srehs on a modified Trio and it really helped me clean up the starlings quickly. I put the trap on the side of my garage where the starlings could spot it easily from the martin house. Morning sun hit it, and I'd often find a trapped starling as soon as it got light. I'd reset the trap and get a second before I had to leave for work. It was a good strategy for me and might work well for your situation.

good luck!

Louise
BumBee

birdy girl,
I’ve had quite a bit of success dealing with sparrows and starlings. I live in a
subdivision. Close to my residence is about half a dozen of fast food places.
A grocery store with oaks trees in their parking lot. It’s a breeding ground
for my trouble. Last year not one purple martin egg was damage by sparrows
nor starlings.

My biggest asset is a tipping can starling/sparrow trap 40 feet away from
my martin housing. It is in plain view from my martin housing. Under this
tipping can trap is cage holding sparrows. I kept 6 in last year and 3 are
left. This trap is starting to produce already. It will catch starlings during
their breeding season only. I have incorporated a PMCA repeating baited
trap into the sparrow cage. This one catches sparrows year round. I have another
PMCA baited trap that I can place any where I think it will catch the most.
I bait this one with dry dog food. This will occasionally catch young starlings.

Another thing is I make it difficult for starling to get in my martin housing
makes it easy to get in the trap. I also place a one room house so when they
first show at the trap site, amazing they will go in this one room house that
is not the trap. But when they see that the bigger house is jut below, they get
In and never gets out. I use a pellet rifle occassionally.

Here is a web site that has illustrated how to make a tipping can trap. They have
done a fantastic job on this. My tipping can trap is very similar to this one. I will
be getting lots of time off from work pretty soon. I will consider making more
traps. I made my holding cages for this trap to support the catch until its time
to give them to my friend to feed his two snakes.

http:///// ///.com/pm/spartrap.htm
birdy girl

We have a nestbox trap (the one with the plastic jar inside). We will soon have two of the Nestbox traps up (as soon as hubby finishes the second one.) We are going to move it closer to the martin housing this afternoon (going to put it beside the barn). We don't have any sparrows as of yet. I have been feeding our song birds, and no house sparrows have been sighted. I hope they never show up. Will the T-14 trap offered here at PMCA work to catch starlings? Planning on ordering it, changing one of the SREH on the T-14 to round hole, and closing all our gourds with round holes. I am ready for the martins to come, but I sure hope I can take care of the starlings before martins come.
birdy girl

Louise,
How high is your Nestbox trap from the ground? Do you use a ladder to remove the starling or sparrow from the trap?
Dan Clodfelter

I use a Troyer V-top trap that most amish around me use.You dont have to be home to operate & it traps many birds in 1 day.This trap does take up a little room (8'x 8' x 6' high) but i live in the country with alot of room for it. I also built mine with runners so i can move it around when i want. These measurments above are what i built mine , you can have 1 built alot smaller . I have around $ 200.00 in material in this trap. Dan Clodfelter
Emil Pampell-Tx
Martin Colony History: First started in Gretna, La in 1969 with a small homemade house, have had martins ever since at 2 different homes in Texas

I doubt that the Troyer V-top trap works in the South very well. I think those work perfectly if you have snow on the ground (which we don't have very often... :roll: ). I tried one and didn't catch anything!
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Terri,

I placed the trap about 5-ish feet off the ground on purpose, so I didn't need a ladder to remove starlings. It worked great and made it so much easier for me to remove starlings (which all that I trapped). Later, when house sparrows were very interested in the modified Trio, I used the SD-1 sparrow door traps (PMCA has these) to take care of them. The ST/HS nestbox trap will capture house sparrows but we always found its best value was as a starling trap - they can't resist the combo of wooden box with round hole, in my experience. It was our favorite trap for that purpose at PMCA's sites. We never had an S&S Controller since our martins were spread out over a larger area, making the nestbox traps ideal - we put a couple up at each location with martins, either on tree trunks or sides of buildings. But the conveniently low placement on my garage worked as well as taller placements that required ladders.

Louise
birdy girl

Early this morning, I checked the Nest Box trap that we moved closer to the martin housing. I know the trap works because we had a blue bird in our cage early this morning. I released it unharmed. Now I am just waiting on the starlings to try it out. We had the NBT up for 6 months, but at a very distant location from the martin housing, never had a bird enter it at that location. We have closed the round holes so as of now they NBT is only round hole available for them, except my blue bird houses. I will be watching them closely. I think I am going to try the T-14 Wooden insert trap and change a SREH to round. DOes anyone have any experience with this trap? Thanks for all your help.
Louise Chambers
Site Admin

we've used both of the t-14 insert traps - the metal one has faster shutter action but they both work. The universal sparrow trap will catch starlings too, and fits inside compartments nicely. so any of those would work in your t-14

Louise
birdy girl

Ordered the wooden T-14 insert trap today. I can't wait to get it and hopefully catch starlings. After we closed the round holes up, I didn't see them hanging around this afternoon. Maybe they will move on.

Louise I noticed you said the wooden trap has a slower shutter action than the metal trap. I sure hope the wooden one is fast enough to trap the starlings because they are real skiddish. Almost the minute we walk out the door they fly away.