Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts
Hanover Bill
Martin Colony History: 2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72

I am finding fledges that should have fledged days ago, still in the gourd. They appear healthy, just haven't fledged yet. I never remember that happening before.

Are there any stats out there on what is the longest period a fledge has gone from hatch to fledge? I know the accepted time frame is 26-30 days, but I have some this year that have definitely surpassed that.

Hanover Bill.
2009 & 10 - 0
2011 & 12 - Visitors
2013 - 2 pr. fledged 9
2014 - 3 pr. fledged 13
2015 - 7 pr. fledged 27
2016 - 15 pr. fledged 72
ToyinPA
Martin Colony History: The 1972 St. Agnes flood wiped out all the Martins in my area. One day, in 1997-98, 5 or 6 Martins landed on the power wires crossing my back yard. I had no house for them. They kept coming back day after day. We got a martin house a few weeks later & they have been coming back every year since. I average 12-15 pair per year.

Bill:

I have no idea what stats are, only what I've been dealing with.

I have chicks at 31 days that haven't fledged yet. All are healthy & all but one is fat. I have one that fledged 2 days ago at 29 days old, my neighbor 2 houses up picked it up in his front yard this morning. It got fed & put back in the nest. I have another that is 28 days that hasn't ventured out on the balcony yet. Parents slow down feeding when it gets close to day 26. They want them to fledge. In this heat they feed even less. Then the chicks get too weak to fledge & stay airborne. I've been chasing down chicks that end up on the ground, feeding them & putting them back in the nest since July 12th. I've been hand feeding chicks & flipping crickets trying to keep them alive & well hydrated. I've been lucky none have tried to take off when we lower the house.

I'd suggest supplement feeding to help the parents feed the chicks. Even tho they are fledge age if they beg enough the parents will feed them some. Just try to keep a watch on them & hope they survive this heatwave.

Toy in PA
PMCA Member