PMCA's Electronic Project MartinWatch Data Sheet

Welcome to the internet's gathering place for Purple Martin enthusiasts

PMCA's Electronic Project MartinWatch Data Sheet

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:50 pm

The PMCA has devised an electronic Project MartinWatch data sheet that uses Microsoft Excel. This electronic version allows users to download the file to their computer, enter in their nest check data, and email the form back to the PMCA at the end of the season. The file is set up exactly like the original hardcopy form that has been made available for use by the PMCA for years. However, drop-down menus and specially designed columns that calculate Projected Hatch Date and Earliest Possible Fledge Date make the data entry process much easier for landlords. This form allows for more consistent data entry and thus more accurate data for the PMCA’s scientific research.

To find the file, go to http://www.purplemartin.org/pmw/. Both PC and MAC versions are available, as well as an instruction sheet. Download the Excel file and use it to record your nest check data. Once the nesting season is over, email it back to the PMCA at research@purplemartin.org

If you experience any technical difficulties with the form or have any suggestions for improvement, feel free to contact the PMCA or email Joe Siegrist at joe@purplemartin.org We hope you will use the electronic version and that you find it easy to use and more convenient than paper copies!

Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Postby Tim Mangan-Kansas » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Emily:

I think it is a good idea to set this sheet up via an Excel worksheet. It will make it easier for participating landlords to log their data and get it back to the PMCA.

I briefly looked at the spreadsheet and I have a question about the dates that you auto populated. Under "date of 1st egg", I inputted 5-15. Under "projected hatch", it auto populated as 5-29. That is only 15 days of incubation from the date of the first egg. I would guess the heading should be, "date of last egg".

I do not know how you plan to merge the data from all the landlords, but should there not be a few blank lines on this sheet for the individual landlord to fill in his site location data.

As I mentioned, I only briefly looked at the form so possibly I did not do the input correctly.

Tim

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your questions and comments about the electronic PMW file. In order for the Projected Hatch Date and the Earliest Possible Fledge Date columns to work, you need to not only fill in the Date First Egg is Laid column but also the Total Number of Eggs column. The dates will be wrong unless you have both columns filled in correctly. According to the information you posted, you didn't have anything in the Total Number of Eggs column, which would have thrown off the calculations.

As far as site information and location, participants can simply put that in the body of their email when they send the form back to the PMCA at the end of the season.

Thank you for trying out the form so quickly! I was hoping someone would so we can get all the bugs worked out before the season starts up! If you still have problems with it, please let me know so I can take a closer look at it.

Daniel Airola

Postby Daniel Airola » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:36 pm

This looks good and I hope it will encourage more people to collect and submit the data.

One suggestion to ease use is to spell out what the codes stand for (rather than just showing abbreviations) in the drop-down menus. It seems like the menu can show this and then enter the appropriate code when you click on it. Less good is to have the codes clearly listed in the instructions.

Keep up the good work.
Dan Airola - Sacramento CA

Nanette

Postby Nanette » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Emily,
Is there a place to write down special notes? For example, if a renest has occurred, the data will be messed up if you leave the "date of first egg" the date of the actual first egg and don't change it to the new (renest) date the first egg is laid. If you change the "date first laid" to the first renest egg, then you have lost the data of the first nesting attempt. (Boy, did I make that sound complicated!) Another example would be when a compartment of nestlings were abandoned. A couple of them died before I tried placing the remaining nestlings among other similarly aged nestlings. Both survived with their new families. The data would have seemed invalid had I not been able to explain the additional nestlings.
Fledge on!
Nanette

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:24 am

Hi Nanette,

Thanks for the questions!

For any comments you need to make, put an asterisk in that particular nest check box. Comments can be added to Sheet 2 of the Excel workbook...basically like writing on the back of a hardcopy sheet. (For those unfamiliar with Excel, Sheet 2 can be accessed by clicking on the tab labeled "Sheet 2" in the bottom left corner). That way, I can still view all comments and it is easy to flip between sheets.

For recording renesting attempts, simply use one line for the original attempt and then another line for the second attempt. It would be helpful if you can asterisk these lines and make a note on Sheet 2 so I know right away it was a renesting attempt.

If you do need to move nestlings to another compartment as you described, I would suggest making a note on Sheet 2. After you move them to the new nest, when you do nest checks, just record what you have seen in that compartment as normal....it will not mess up any of the formulas as you should not change the number of eggs laid or the date first egg is laid.

Hope this helps!

LarryMelcher/KY

Postby LarryMelcher/KY » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:31 am

Emily,
I don't have the Excel program. I wish it was not very expensive, I'd add it and contribute in this way.

Great idea to make the Project MartinWatch data on a computer program.

I am hoping to upgrade to a newer computer sometime soon. I'll look for the Excel program when I do.

Larry Melcher
I manage 2 public sites, and one at home, for a total of 172 cavities. Board Member / Non Profit PMCA.
Find videos that I edit for the PMCA Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PurpleMartinPMCA

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:06 pm

For anyone who doesn't have Excel on their computer, check out OpenOffice.org. This is open source software that is similar to Microsoft Office. It contains a spreadsheet like Excel. All you have to do is download it to your computer, free of charge. You will have to save the Project Martinwatch file to your computer, then open the Open Office spreadsheet. Go under file, open, and select the Project Martinwatch file. It should work fine. The only problem I can see with it is that it does not lock the "Projected Hatch Date" and "Earliest Possible Fledge Date" columns. These columns operate using a formula, so please make sure you don't mess with anything in those columns. The program will calculate those dates for you. If by chance you delete anything from those columns, it deletes the forumla and you will not get the correct results.

Hopefully, this will work for those of you who do not have Excel...and it's much cheaper than buying Excel!!

Tim Mangan-Kansas
Martin Colony History: 2016 - 22 Pair

Postby Tim Mangan-Kansas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 pm

Emily:

Wanted to say I have my own excel spreadsheet I use for my nest checks but I have also downloaded the one you built so I can fill it out and send back to you at the end of the season.

I really appreciate the formula's you built on the spreadsheet. I have copied those over to my spreadsheet. Wanted to mention what I do to help me from mistakenly delete cells which contain formula's. I highlight the entire cell in a light color. That gives me a heads-up that the cell contains a formula and not to do any inputting in that cell.

Tim

TreeGreenwood

Postby TreeGreenwood » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:08 pm

For anyone who doesn't have Excel on their computer, check out OpenOffice.org. This is open source software that is similar to Microsoft Office. ... save the Project Martinwatch file to your computer, then open the Open Office spreadsheet. Go under file, open, and select the Project Martinwatch file. It should work fine. ...
Emily, is it important that spreadsheets sent to PMCA be in .xls format? The OO.org native format is .sxc but can save in .xls format. If PMCA is going to further automate the manipulation of statistics, you might specify that .xls files be sent.
The only problem I can see with it is that it does not lock the "Projected Hatch Date" and "Earliest Possible Fledge Date" columns. These columns operate using a formula, so please make sure you don't mess with anything in those columns. The program will calculate those dates for you. If by chance you delete anything from those columns, it deletes the forumla and you will not get the correct results.
The Linux and BSD ports of OO give users the option of deleting or changing current content, leaving formulas and calculations.
Hopefully, this will work for those of you who do not have Excel...and it's much cheaper than buying Excel!!
OO also allows those of us who use neither Microsoft nor Apple operating systems to participate. I've used OO for years and love it.

Thanks!

Tree
Microsoft free since 2001
Currently using: Mandriva 2008 and Opera 8.50 beta for this forum

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 am

Tree,

Thanks for the post. I am not that familiar with Open Office as I mainly work with Excel. Saving the Open Office file in .xls format would be really helpful! If not, I'm sure I can always export the data into Excel. Knowing that Open Office gives you the option of deleting cell contents without deleting the formulas makes me feel much better!

Thanks!

Scully

Postby Scully » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:39 am

The electronic martinwatch sheet is a great idea 8) and I have compiled our data on it back to 2002 (I'll send 'em in all at once at the end of this season).

One thing I did notice is that the electronic version seems to make no provision for nest starts as opposed to completed nests. Early in the season most of our data is "nest starts", some or most of these then going on to become completed nests, most again with eggs or young.

The lack of a "nest start" or "nest under construction" option means that one has to sort of arbitrarily decide exactly how much material constitutes an actual "nest" rather than an "X" for an empty gourd.

Perhaps I'm missing something here :???:

Mike Scully

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:08 am

Scully,

You can designate these partial nests the same way as you did on the original hard copy forms we had. Some people use PN for partial nest, while others say 1/2 N, or half a nest. That way we are able to tell that nest building has begun, but is not quite complete.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:15 pm

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emily,
I have been using the Martinwatch Data Sheet since I joined the Forum, but now that I am ready to send it back I am not sure what I have. I was very new so I can not tell you which access I used to obtain the data sheet. But I can tell you I do not have any drop down menus. I do have abbrev. for Age, House Code, and Hole Type on the extreme right (which is p.1449 on my version).
I attempted to snail mail it, but cannot get it to print out only p. 1, p.363, and p.725. It buffered all 725 pages even though I selected Active Pages Only (or so I thought).
Am I in the wrong set up?
If I switch to a different set up, will I be able to cut and paste?
Also I see no place on this version for my totals, so I put them in line 14 Y,Z,AA
Finally, I have a few asterisks, but I put them on line 12 directly under the asterisked category. With only one nest, Page 2 sounded excessive. If all this is not worth it for one nest, I will understand.
Thank You

Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Postby Louise Chambers » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:29 pm

Liz,

On Monday when everyone's back in the office, I'll direct your question to someone who can help - I'm afraid that's not me at this point :???:

Louise

Daryl Lindstrom - MN

Postby Daryl Lindstrom - MN » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:27 pm

I have a question/concern regarding the formuals on the electronic MartinWatch sheet...

It appears that the "Earliest Possible Fledge Date" is calculated from the "Projected Hatch Date" column as opposed to the "Actual Hatch Date" column.

According to the laminated baby photos, we are directed to use the "Actual Hatch Date" to calculate the "Earliest Possible Fledge Date."

As we all know, the actual hatch date can vary by several days from the project hatch date. If the fledge date is calculated from this miss-information, the earlest possible fledge date may be off by several days???

Perhaps it would be best to change the formulas to have the "Earliest Possible Fledge Date" based off of the "Actual Hatch Date" as opposed to the "Projected Hatch Date."

Just a thought...

Forum Admin
Site Admin

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 am

If the "Actual Hatch Date" is available then it would give a more accurate fledge date than "Project Hatch Date", however the main reason why we have the "Earliest Possible Fledge Date" calculated from the "Projected Hatch Date" rather than the "Actual Hatch Date" is because a large number of people who submit their Project Martinwatch data do not have the actual hatch date, especially those who do not have the Laminated Baby Photos and Prognosticator. That way it would give them a guideline in determining when their nestlings could start fledging.

Because some landlords do not have the "Actual Hatch Date" filled, we would still want to keep the "Earliest Possible Fledge Date" based on the "Projected Hatch Date" but what we may think about doing is to add another column to the form which would be the "Earliest Possible Fledge Date based on Actual Hatch Date" where it was calculated using the "Actual Hatch Date" when applicable.
Forum Administrator
Purple Martin Conservation Association - Please consider becoming a member of the PMCA.

joeincan

Postby joeincan » Mon May 18, 2009 7:49 pm

how do I download to my excel?

Louise Chambers
Site Admin

Postby Louise Chambers » Tue May 19, 2009 7:46 am

Joe, for the PMW data forms, click on the icon for the type you want (PC or Mac) - those are on the research page, given in the first post on the thread.

Louise

Return to “Purple Martin Forum”